Tremosine sul Garda is an authentic wonder. Located on a structural terrace overlooking the upper Lake Garda, Tremosine is a scattered municipality of 18 hamlets, whose territory is characterized by round valleys that characterize the area, including the San Michele Valley. In this marvelous village you can go hiking, visit the hamlets, taste the culinary delicacies of the area, see Lake Garda from above along one of the most beautiful roads in the world: The Forra road, winding to do, but with a path really exciting and panoramic, with a breathtaking view of the lake.
The village is located in the heart of the Alto Garda Bresciano Park, extended for over 70 sq km, it enjoys all the natural and environmental qualities of the protected natural area. Here the highest mountains of the Park blend with the blue of Lake Garda, offering scenarios that are unmatched in the world.
Campione is the only one of the 18 hamlets to overlook Lake Garda. The first certain information of human presence dates back to the Neolithic: a prehistoric station was found in the locality of Pieve and other objects were discovered in Lis, Calvarice and Castello. In Roman times, the rich citizens of Brescia owned villas and fields in the area, where decent tombs with epitaphs were also built. In 1185 it appears that the archpriest Martino, the first of whom there is written evidence, went to the conclave of Verona for the election of Pope Urban III who invested him with property in Tremosine.
Pieve, the main hamlet, is located on the top of a cliff carved by the glacier. Garda is at m. 65 s.l.m., the capital at m. 423 s.l.m. For centuries, one of the most beautiful paths in the world has united them, the Path of the Port. The ancient pavement and the blackened stones of the shelter walls tell of men and barters, of goods carried on the shoulder with monstrous effort. At the top, from the terrace on which the cableway was mounted at the end of the 19th century, it offers a wonderful panorama. Pieve still lives this dimension between lake and sky, while Baldo, the imposing mountain that stretches on the Veronese shore, resembles a careful and faithful guardian.
The Church of San Giovanni, in Pieve, is a Gothic-style building built in the XII century on top of a previous parish church. The factory was remodeled in 1712. The Church of San Bartolomeo, however, is the parish church of the hamlet of Vesio. The facade has a colonnaded portico, while inside there is an organ by Gaetano Caligo and inlaid wooden benches. The municipal area of Tremosine was intensely fortified by the Italians during the First World War, especially from 1917 when the first line was stabilized in the Val di Ledro. The mountain ridges were the subject of intense defensive works: tens of kilometers of mule tracks and paths were built to connect the fortified ridges. Entrenched lines consisting of hundreds of sections were built, supported by rock shelters, stalking and casemates in the cave, positions for machine guns and bomb launchers, in addition to the pitches for artillery batteries. The stations built during the First World War are well preserved and can be visited. They start from the town of Pieve and continue uninterrupted until Polzone, where there was an entrenched barrier in order to block access to the valley. From there you can go up to the Bocca Cocca, where the installations stop. Other locations are recognizable in the inhabited hamlets of Pregasio, Nevese, Secastello, Monte Nai and in their immediate vicinity, even in positions overlooking the Garda lake. The eastern side of the Bondo valley is fortified up to Monte Traversole, where the line joins the main barrier along the route Passo Tremalzo - Passo Nota - Passo Guil.
Tremosine, which has been difficult to reach for centuries, has developed a particularly self-sufficient and simple cuisine.
The numerous typical restaurants and farmhouses have made typical production and traditional dishes their strong point.
So, off to the game, to the truly free range poultry, to the meats and meat of animals that graze on the plateau, to the cheeses of the local dairy, how to taste the famous Tremosine cheese, to the famous extra virgin olive oil, to the precious truffles blacks, local wines, lake fish, honey and home made pasta, but especially Casoncelli (ravioli).
Small Producers Association
Situated in the foothills of The Alps, a territory that extends from the shores of Lake Garda to over 2,000 metres of altitude on the peak of Tremalzo, Tremosine is the perfect location for a rich and diverse agricultural network.
We have resurrected a network which offers tourists an authentic and traditional insight into the real essence of Tremosine.
Scattered throughout the hills of tremosine, you can find the small businesses, of passionate locals, producing fish, salami, wine, olive oil, cheeses, honey and more.
Our small and welcoming community has something for everyone, guaranteeing an unforgettable gastronomic experience.
Village of Tremosine
Municipality of Tremosine sul Garda
Province of Brescia
Altitude Center: 414 m s.l.m.
The Municipality is part of:
I Borghi più belli d'Italia
Comunità Montana Parco Alto Garda Bresciano
Protected Natural Areas:
Bondo Valley Natural Reserve
Via Papa Giovanni XXIII 1 - phone +39 0365-915811