The Church of Santa Chiara, in Santa Fiora, was built in 1705 and houses a much-venerated 15th-century wooden crucifix, which is carried in procession every 3 May; it is believed to have belonged to Sister Passitea Crogi, a nun who founded the adjacent Capuchin convent between 1610 and 1612.
The choir houses a ceramic depicting the Madonna and Child and several reliquaries, whilst the numerous votive offerings and sacred objects produced by the Poor Clares themselves are no longer on display; these are currently kept at the Diocesan Museum in Pitigliano.
Since 11 October 2003, the Church of Santa Chiara has also been dedicated to the Most Holy Crucifix and recognised as a sanctuary by Bishop Mario Meini.
San Martino di Castrozza
Malvasia in Porto 2026
Tandem paragliding flights in Tirolo and Merano: the thrill of flying over the Alps
Recipe: Polta di Pacentro, the peasant dish that symbolises the traditions of Abruzzo