Your cart is empty.
Church of San Martino De Muris

Church of San Martino De Muris

The Church of San Martino De Muris is located in the hamlet of Costa in Framura, Liguria. An ancient parish church in the Framura area, it was founded, according to some historians and popular tradition, as a monastic complex dependent on the Abbey of San Colombano di Bobbio between the 10th and 11th centuries. First mentioned in 1128, it is further documented in 1192 as a parish church of the diocese of Genoa. Its parish jurisdiction included eleven parishes among the present-day towns of Deiva Marina, Carrodano and Carro, corresponding roughly to the ancient podesteria of Framura of the Republic of Genoa. The structure was completely remodelled between the 15th and 16th centuries, but some elements of the original Romanesque building were preserved. During the renovation, the original octagonal pillars were remodelled and the façade was set back. In the 18th century, the choir was rebuilt.

The building has a basilica layout and consists of three naves divided by octagonal pillars; the presbytery is elliptical in shape. The exterior was originally attached to a pre-existing watchtower dating back to the Carolingian era.

Inside, in addition to the ancient baptismal font in red Levanto marble, possibly dating back to the 10th or 11th century, there is a painting by Bernardo Strozzi on the fourth altar of the left aisle, depicting the Madonna del Rosario between Saints Dominic and Charles. Tradition has it that the faces of the Virgin and the Child Jesus are portraits of Ginetta Strozzi with her son Giovanni Giuseppino, the painter’s sister and nephew. Popular tradition also attributes the local Baroque marble pulpit to the cathedral of San Lorenzo.

Where to eat

Where to shop

Tours

Activities

Rentals

Cars

Where to stay