The Trullo Sovrano rises to the north of Alberobello, behind the Church of the Santi Medici Cosma e Damiano.
It stands out from the others because it is the only two-story trullo, reachable from inside through a masonry staircase, and it is among the first trulli to have been built with mortar.
Built in the first half of the 18th century by the family of the priest Cataldo Perta, it was used by the priest as his home, while the surrounding trulli were inhabited by his employees.
The term "Sovereign" derives from the majesty of the trullo, as on the outside it is possible to admire the 14 meter high conical dome, which stands imposingly in the center of a group consisting of twelve cones.Inside, however, there are authentic furnishings and objects.
In 1923 Trullo Sovrano was declared a National Monument while in 1996 he joined the list of UNESCO sites.