The Church of Sant’Antonio da Padova in Limone Piemonte was built in 1657 as a votive offering by the community to mark the end of the plague, and has been a place deeply linked to popular devotion ever since. In 1758, the building was extended with the construction of an altar dedicated to St Roch, following the collapse of the chapel previously dedicated to the saint.
Over the course of its history, the church has undergone various changes: it was even used as a military depot before being restored and reopened for worship in 1896. The last major restoration dates back to 1969, when the building took on its current appearance, characterised by simple, unadorned lines.
Externally, the plastered façade is flanked by two side pilasters topped with pinnacles and crowned by a large curved pediment, whilst the sides of the church feature exposed stonework, which echoes the Alpine building tradition and gives the building a simple yet harmonious appearance.
San Martino di Castrozza
Malvasia in Porto 2026
Tandem paragliding flights in Tirolo and Merano: the thrill of flying over the Alps
Recipe: Polta di Pacentro, the peasant dish that symbolises the traditions of Abruzzo