The Mother Church dedicated to St. Martin in Cairano, characterised by a polygonal spire, was originally built in the 14th century and renovated in 1694 and 1980. The religious building dominates a quiet little square and towers over the small surrounding buildings. The façade features a finely crafted white stone portal, probably made by skilled local stonemasons.
The square bell tower, made of rough-hewn, squared stone, was rebuilt in the 19th century when the old bell tower on the right side of the church façade was demolished. Stratigraphic studies have shown that the bell tower was originally a civic tower, a bastion of the castle walls.
Inside, the church contains 18th-century stuccoes, statues, a wooden choir, an 18th-century stone altar and various decorations.
San Martino di Castrozza
VIVA! Festival 2026
Tandem paragliding flights in Tirolo and Merano: the thrill of flying over the Alps
Recipe: Polta di Pacentro, the peasant dish that symbolises the traditions of Abruzzo