It overlooks the Gulf of Naples and is one of its most evocative areas.
Like an ancient village in the heart of the old city, San Ferdinando, the oldest district of the capital of Campania, lies between those of Chiaia, in the area towards the sea, Montecalvario towards the center, and in the upper part towards the Vomero.
A tangle of streets and characteristic alleys, squares and squares, shops and shops, cafes and clubs, pizzerias and restaurants.
In every corner you can breathe the typical air of the most picturesque and suggestive Naples, the one that overlooks the waterfront up to Piazza Vittoria, which reaches Piazza Municipio going down to Trinità degli Spagnoli up to the vital and worldly Via Toledo.
Fortified in the Aragonese period, the area was populated with noble residences between the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. Buildings that, even today, strongly characterize the district that has in Piazza del Plebiscito, among the largest and most important squares in Italy, its heart, an extraordinary amphitheater between via Toledo and the promenade, embellished by the Royal Pontifical Basilica of St. Francis of Paola and the spectacular colonnade.
Photo from terredicampania.it
The cultural heart of the city, where various museums and theaters are located, as well as cultural and artistic activities, San Ferdinando is also the Gran Caffè Gambrinus area, the historic local of Italy, the Neapolitan literary salon and the heart of city life since the end of the 'Nineteenth century, but also the Salone Margherita, cafè-chantant of the center, as well as the Real Teatro San Carlo, one of the most famous and prestigious opera houses in the world and once a symbol of Naples that emphasized its European prestige.
Foto da napolilike.it
San Ferdinando, however, is also that of the Mercadante theater and of the Politeama, the Sannazzaro theater and the Augusteo and of many museums including the Museo del Corallo, where it is possible to retrace its history and work, including documents and significant creations, the splendid Palazzo Reale, historical residence of the Spanish viceroys for half a century, built starting in the 1600s and which reached its final appearance after the mid-nineteenth century, the Civic Museum of Castel Nuovo, with the beautiful Palatina chapel, the Armeria hall and the precious collections of sculptures, objects and paintings from the Middle Ages and late nineteenth century, and the Museum Galleries of Palazzo Zevallos, which contain the precious paintings of the Neapolitan seventeenth century, those of the school of Posillipo and Resina and the sculptures and drawings in pencil and charcoal of Vincenzo Gemito.
Foto from WikiCommons
Then many churches including the Basilica of Santa Lucia a Mare, the church of Nunziatella, the basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli in Pizzofalcone, that of Santa Maria della Catena and that of the Holy Trinity of the Spaniards.
Then other historic buildings such as Palazzo Calabritto, Palazzo Barbaja, Palazzo Capua and Palazzo Cellamare and two castles; Castel dell'Ovo, the oldest in Naples, particularly evocative in the gulf scenery, where events, conventions and exhibitions take place, and at the base of which stands the tourist harbor of the "Borgo Marinari", the historical seat of some of the nautical clubs Neapolitans, and Castel Nuovo, also known as Maschio Angioino, one of the Neapolitan symbols, medieval and Renaissance castle with an irregularly trapezoidal plan, defended by five large cylindrical towers, four of which covered with piperno and one in tuff, crowned with merlons on corbels.
The authentic living room of the area is the Galleria Umberto I, a majestic architectural treasure erected in just three years, between 1887 and 1890, raised to give the city center a space to walk sheltered from the elements.
Photo from Vesuviolive.it
It is right between the Galleria Umberto I, Piazza del Plebiscito, Via Toledo and the gulf that Naples enchants and captures those who grant the beauty and the unmissable atmosphere, as enchanting is a stop in one of its typical pizzerias to enjoy the classic pizza, choosing strictly between the marinara, with tomato, garlic, oregano and extra virgin olive oil, and the margherita, with tomato, mozzarella di bufala bell in cubes or fiordilatte, basil and extra virgin olive oil.
Add to calendar 2020-04-05 2020-04-13 Europe/Rome Holy Week Are very followed in the island the religious events linked to the period of Holy Week before Easter; very evocative, among these, the Procession of the Apostles of the Holy Thursday and the Procession of the Mysteries of the Holy Friday. The Procession of the "Apostles Hooded" è organised by the Archconfraternity of whites, founded in 1581 by Cardinal Innico d'Avalos d'Aragona. At the end of the celebration of the washing of the feet, the twelve "apostles" (with the garment of the confrere) incappucciano and with a cross on the shoulder and a crown of thorns on the head parade in procession through the streets of the island, preceded by "Centurion", and followed by the masters of ceremonies and other confreres. The culminating moment of the rites of the week is found in any case in the procession of the Mysteries of the morning of Fridayì holy, sometimes also referred to as the procession of the dead Christ. The origins of the rite risalirebbero at the end of the XVI century, organized by the Brotherhood of the Blues (founded in 1629 by the Jesuits) since the second half of the Seventeenth century, period from which it draws its main characters. Up to the half of the XVIII century was essentially a procession of flagellanti, transformed by then in a procession exclusively of mysteries, floats of religious character. The characterizing portion of the procession, in addition to the participation almost "total" of the population on the island, è also the presence next to the so-called "Mysteries fixed" used every year and from different churches on the island, also of mysteries "variable" or "furniture", prepared each year by individuals or associations artistic works of the island, brought to arms by young clothes of the classic role as 'confrere of Turchini" for a fixed path, from the most ancient village of Terra Murata up to the port of Marina Grande. Closes the procession with the statue of the Dead Christ by the sculptor Neapolitan Carmine Lantriceni. In the general silence, the sound of the trumpet and drum characterizes the passage of the procession.
The Mysteries are allegorical floats of religious character handcrafted from year to year by Procidani, sometimes gathered in artistic schools dedicated. Generally consist of one or more wooden planks (said "bases") long up to 8 meters wide and about 2, on which are arranged the sculptural representations (or better, symbolic interpretations) of steps the Old or New Testament, and in particular of the Passion of Christ. The materials used are generally papier mache, wood, plastic, polystirene, and fabric; typical is the technique of the "mold" which allows to reproduce a three-dimensional object using the papier. Generally during the implementation (which Può last several months) the mysteries are kept hidden to the public, so that they can be seen for the first time directly during the Procession of Fridayì holy, and often immediately after, in the same day, are immediately removed or even destroyed. Rarely in recent times some of them are kept for some months to make them can be visited by tourists in the summer season. The embodiments are from the classic "Last Supper" up to constructions much moreù complex (both in the meaning that in embodiments). Often the "Mysteries" refer to the architectural and artistic styles of different eras, also thanks to the wide use of colonnades (higher than 4 meters). Procida
Are very followed in the island the religious events linked to the period of Holy Week before Easter; very evocative, among these, the Procession of the Apostles of the Holy Thursday and the Procession...