Finalborgo is a jewel at few steps from the sea that enchants with its atmosphere of other times. The name derives from Burgum Finarii, border land (for fines) to the times of the Romans and administrative center of the marquisate of the Del Carretto family between the XIV and the XVI century
Closed between medieval walls still well preserved, interspersed with semicircular towers and interrupted only in correspondence of the doors, the village of final (so called to distinguish it from the Marina) immediately offers the visitor a sense of protection and recollection. The ancient conception of defense and community survives in the crosslinked streets, arranged perpendicularly to each other to form fascinating views in contained spaces. Routes the narrow lanes, each square is a conquest and a surprise, able to exhibit wonders in the "Finale stone" slate adorning doorways, modeling itself into columns, diamonds, ornaments. The Historic Center of Finalborgo for several centuries the capital of the Marquisate and administrative center of Finale, stands in a strategic position on the alluvial plain at the confluence of the rivers Pora and eagle.
The origin of the village dates back to the end of the XII century, to the epoch of the marquis Enrico The Guercio, but recent important archaeological discoveries seem to predate its foundation for a few centuries. With the walls (destroyed in 1448 and riedificate in 1452), the different "ports": Porta Reale (of 1702 next to which it is possible to observe a large coat of arms in relief of the Del Carretto family), Porta Romana, door head (1452) and Port Crescent (more upwards toward Castel San Giovanni) and the semicircular towers which interrupted to treat the walls (the most beautiful is visible on the south side), the village retains the characteristics of a fortified village in its fifteenth-century structure, rear to the destruction resulting from the war with Genoa (1448). The 15th-century and Renaissance palaces, altered during the period of Spanish domination, embellish the urban fabric.
To appreciate, in addition to the history that permeates the walls of the village, also the delicious local cuisine. In the Finale coexist two culinary souls, as to its nature, one linked to the sea and a mountain. In addition to fish dishes embellished with aromatic herbs, many preparations with a basis of vegetables: Ravioli of boraggine, Ravioli of Scorzonera, quiches artichokes based or characteristics courgettes trumpets and rice. The famous and delicious the "fugassin", (focaccette fried) and the panissa. A typical recipe of Finale is that of "chifferi", cakes made with almonds, sugar and orange flowers. Who reproposed in modern times these traditional sweets was Blessed Iron, former sailor with the passion of the pastry art that in 1872 opened a bakery at Finalmarina, still open. The etymology, probably of Arabic derivation (kefir = moon), stems precisely from half moon shape that is given to these delicious pastries made with almonds. It seems that the word seems to derive from the German Kipfel, sweet crescent shaped devised by a viennese baker to celebrate the liberation of the city from the Turkish siege in 1683. Typical cultivation of the place is the orange pernambucco. The local wines are Vermentino, Lumassina, Pigato (white), Rossese and Granaccia (red). Typical Products in addition to wine: craft beer, honey, oil.
Village of Finale
Municipality of Finale Ligure
Province of Savona
altitude center: 10 m a.s.l.
Municipality of Finale Ligure
Via Pertica 29 - Finale Ligure (SV)
Tel. +39 0196 89011
Finale Ligure Touristic Office
Oratorio dei Disciplinanti, Piazza Santa Caterina - Finale Ligure (SV)
ON THE TRAIN