The most complete online resource about Italian villages
Login

Deruta


Share
Known for the production of artistic majolica, the village contains a treasure of art, culture and history. Here everything talks about potters and art   of ceramics, starting from the historic center and the door of San Michele Arcangelo, on whose sides you can see the remains of the city walls. The custodian of the historic majolica heritage is the Regional Ceramics Museum, located inside the former convent of San Francesco, the oldest Italian museum for ceramics.
  • Suitable for disabled people
  • Most beautiful villages in Italy
Deruta  | Comune di Deruta
Deruta
Comune di Deruta
Deruta  | Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta
Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta  | umbriaterremusei.it
Deruta
umbriaterremusei.it
Deruta  | umbriacultura.it
Deruta
umbriacultura.it
Deruta  | Fm2001
Deruta
Fm2001
Deruta  | Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta
Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta  | Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta
Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta  | Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta
Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta  | Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta
Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta  | Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta
Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta  | Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta
Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta  | Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta
Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta  | Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta
Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta  | Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta
Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta  | Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta
Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta  | Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta
Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta  | Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta
Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta  | Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta
Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta  | Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta
Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta  | Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta
Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta  | Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta
Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta  | Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta
Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta  | Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta
Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta  | Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta
Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta  | Andrea Barcaccia
Deruta
Andrea Barcaccia
A look at Deruta
A look at Deruta

About the village

the origin most likely of the toponym is Latin díruta, past participle of diruere, demolished, ruined and steep. From these meanings seems to have originated the name Déruta. From the discovery of a fragment of decorative plate of the VII century, it can be traced back to the presence of a village flourishing and operational already in the Early Middle Ages.

Toward the year 1000, the Emperor Otto III ceded the town to some Germanic noble, giving them the title of Nobiles de Deruta. In the XIII century Deruta has its own statute (lost), followed in 1456 by a new document in the vernacular. The latter provides for the presence in the castle, beyond that of a podestà sent from Perugia, four boni omini, elected from among the inhabitants. The continuous plagues of the second half of the Fifteenth century destroyed the population, so as to result in a reduction of the walls.

During the War of the salt (1540), Deruta, after being deployed against the Pope, even gave the keys to the country to Pier Luigi Farnese, condottiere in the pay of the pope, but nevertheless experienced ambushes and devastation. The subjection of Perugia to the Church brought the town even a long period of peace. It is precisely in these years that you had the maximum development of the workmanship of the majolica artistic activity which, in the course of the centuries, has made known Deruta in the world.

The submission to the papal government lasted until 1860, part two short interruptions related to French domination: between 1798 and 1800 Deruta was included in the Roman Republic as fourth canton of the Department of Trasimeno and, between 1809 and 1814, was part of the Napoleonic Empire.

Certainly deserve a visit the Regional Museum of the ceramics, the Church of San Francesco, the Sanctuary of the Madonna of the bath, the Church of Sant'Angelo, the Church of the Madonna della Cerasa or of Divine Love, the Madonna delle Piaggie and Santa Maria di Roncione in locality Castelleone.

Close to the old city walls lies the village more old from where, going up to three doors of the ancient defensive system, access to the historical center. The main entrance is called Porta Sant'Angelo, the other minors are called Porta Perugina and Porta del Borgo or Tuderte. From the historic center dominate the two towers civic and bell tower of the Church of San Francesco.

The handicrafts from Deruta identifies himself with the production of artistic majolica. The most ancient document on this form of art dates back to 12 August 1290. In this period are produced objects of common use, with scarce decorations; the dominant colors are green ramina obtained by the oxidation of copper and manganese brown.


In the following centuries the deruta maiolica reaches its maximum splendour, diffusing in the Sixteenth Century in major Italian squares: artists such as Giacomo Mancini said El Friar and Francesco Urbini sign works of great importance. Dishes from pump, amatorie goblets, impagliate and noble ensigns have a repertoire of motifs with female figures, mythological scenes, battles and sacred images. The color palette is enriched with the orange, blue and yellow. Also appears the technique of prestige, with golden reflections in the works of greater value. The first piece to shine, attributed to Deruta, is dated 1501, and is a plaque in relief depicting the martyrdom of San Sebastiano, preserved in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.

Floors as that of the church of San Francesco in Deruta, Santa Maria Maggiore in Spello or of the Sacristy of San Pietro in Perugia are further evidences of the best production of the ceramics of Deruta. In the course of time the style and the decors are transformed into "compendiario", from fast stretches, and in "Handwriting", with interweaving of flowers, leaves, arabesques, birds and other animals.

In Deruta are workshops, laboratories, factories, exhibition halls and two schools of art ceramics: the Istituto Statale d'Arte Alpinolo Magnini and the School of Art Ceramics Roman Ranieri.

Village of Deruta
Municipality of Deruta

Province of Perugia
Umbria Region

Population: 9.659 (about 6.000 in the village)
Altitude centre: 218 m s.l.m.

the Municipality is part of:
I Borghi più belli d'Italia
Città della ceramica

Municipality of Deruta
Piazza dei Consoli 15 - Deruta (PG)
Tel. +39 075 972861

BY CAR

  • From Florence: leave the Florence-Rome A1 motorway, Bettolle-Valdichiana exit; merge onto the motorway junction towards Perugina; follow the direction of Rome (E 45); Deruta exit
  • From Bologna: leave the Bologna-Ancona A14 motorway, Cesena exit; take the E-45 highway towards Rome; leave the E-45 highway; at the Deruta exit
  • From Rome: leave the Rome-Florence A1 motorway, Orte exit; take the E-45 highway towards Perugia, leave the E-45 highway; at the Deruta exit

BY PLANE

  • Regional Airport of Sant'Egidio Perugia
  • Florence airport
  • Rome Fiumicino International Airport

Sleep, eat, buy...

Locanda Cacio Re
Innovative menus characterised by umbrian traditions.
Via I Casali - 06040, Vallo di Nera (Perugia)
44.16 Kilometers from Deruta
Lacole Casa Italiana
A fantastic furniture showroom in Pistrino di Citerna that houses some of the most sumptuous room...
Via della Libertà, 56 - 06010, Citerna (Perugia)
62.04 Kilometers from Deruta

Events

from
friday
28
august, 2020
to wednesday 2 september 2020

Palio of the Jug

wednesday
25
november, 2020

Santa Caterina

what else do you want
to discover?
e-borghi 2019-2020 All rights reserved • 3S Comunicazione - P. IVA 08058230965
Corso Buenos Aires, 92 - 20124 Milano | 02 87071950