Metaponto rises on the plain to which the city itself gives its name, the Metapontino, between the Bradano and Basento rivers, and is one of the most important seaside resorts on the Ionian coast of Basilicata.
Metaponto was founded by Greek colonists from the Achaia, in the second half of the 7th century BC, whose name means "beyond the sea", becoming very soon one of the most important cities of Magna Graecia.
The figure of Pythagoras is linked to Metaponto, who lived and worked until the end of his days in 490 BC, founding one of his schools.
The real development of the town lies between the second half of the sixth and the first half of the fourth century BC, while in Roman times it experienced a period of great decline.
Its economic wealth came mainly from the fertility of its territory, evidenced by the ear of barley that was depicted on the coins of Metaponto and which became the very symbol of the city and which it sent as a gift to Delphi.
A short distance from the modern village is located the archaeological area of Metaponto with its ruins among which the famous Tavole Palatine and the National Archaeological Museum of Metaponto.
Not only culture, archeology and the sea, the Ionian coast is also a sport to practice by taking advantage of the extraordinary natural and landscape resources it offers.
Metaponto is the ideal place for lovers of walking and horseback riding, even on the beautiful golden beaches that characterize this point of the Ionian coast.
Fans of outdoor activities can let themselves go by bike or by boat, as well as guided tours of the vast expanses of the Mediterranean maquis.
Village of Metaponto
municipality of Bernalda
province of Matera
Inhabitants: 1028 metapontini
Altitude center: 126 m a.s.l.
The Municipality is part of:
Protected Natural Areas:
Natural Reserve Marinella Stornara
Natural Reserve Metaponto
Piazza Plebiscito - Tel. 0835-540223
ON THE TRAIN