the village of Marciana Marina is the smallest of Tuscany. It is located on the Island of Elba and is bathed by the Ligurian Sea. Every year it is the seat of the Literary Award The Tore Elba Island.
At the entrance of the port, whose foundation stone was laid on 10 September 1911, is the ancient Tower of the Appiani, whose current forms are attributable, based on stylistic typologies and structural, to the second half of the Sixteenth Century. The first nucleus of the village, called Marina di Marciana, developed in the place called Cotton (local term that means "big boulder", from the latin cos - cotis), at a natural harbor. Then there was a further urban development that gave life to the so-called long neighborhood. In the center, in piazza Vittorio Emanuele, it should be noted that also the church of Santa Chiara, dating back to 1776. Historical buildings of great interest are the Villa Anselmi and Villa Leonardi (the latter with triple veranda on order columns tuscanic), dated to the nineteenth century. During the XVIII century, for its importance and port and commercial, Marciana Marina was called Small Marseille. From the provincial road that joins Marciana Marina to the fraction of Procchio is visible the islet said the Paolina. Entitled to Paolina Bonaparte as a result of the tourist expansion in the postwar period (originally the locality called Castiglioncello), houses the ruins of a roman construction dating back to a period between the I century BC and the first century A.D. and belonging perhaps to an ancient commercial emporium. Examples of modern architecture in the period after the second world war are the Villa Spinelli (locality Crocetta), the Villa Albertini, Villa Del Balzo and Villa Vannini-Parenti (locality bathroom). Also of interest is the locality of Redinoce, that derives from Rio del Noce.
Village of Marciana Marina
Municipality of Marciana Marina
Province of Livorno
Inhabitants: 1.891 marinesi
Altitude center: 3 m a.s.l.
The Municipality is part of:
Etruscan Coast Wine and Oil Route
Protected Natural Areas:
The National Park of the Tuscan Archipelago
Viale G. Vadi 7 - Tel. 0565-99002
ON THE TRAIN