The most complete online resource about Italian villages
Login

Tavarnelle Val di Pesa


Share
Between the Val di Pesa and the Val d’Elsa, in the historic region of Chianti, Tavarnelle is a village surrounded by green hills where you can especially appreciate nature, landscapes and food and wine. The town has a typically medieval old town with interesting monuments.
  • City of wine
Tavarnelle Val di Pesa  |
Tavarnelle Val di Pesa
Tavarnelle Val di Pesa  |
Tavarnelle Val di Pesa
San Donato in Poggio  |
San Donato in Poggio
Tavarnelle Val di Pesa  |
Tavarnelle Val di Pesa
Tavarnelle Val di Pesa  |
Tavarnelle Val di Pesa
Tavarnelle Val di Pesa  |
Tavarnelle Val di Pesa
Tavarnelle Val di Pesa  |
Tavarnelle Val di Pesa
Tavarnelle Val di Pesa  |
Tavarnelle Val di Pesa
Tavarnelle Val di Pesa  |
Tavarnelle Val di Pesa
A look at Tavarnelle Val di Pesa
A look at Tavarnelle Val di Pesa

About the village

Tavarnelle Val di Pesa is located in the historical region of Chianti in Tuscany. Its territory is located on horseback between the Val di Pesa and Val d'Elsa. The toponym Tavarnelle derives from tabernulae and would seem to indicate the village as a place of stage on one of the minor roads that linked the Via Francigena to Via Volterrana. The presence of a place of refreshment is confirmed by the cadastral register in 1427, while it appears that in 1454 such a Giulio of Francesco del Riccio - Baldi was the owner of a house with a tavern attached call Osteria del Lyon. Since the second half of the nineteenth century is active a stop of the governmental postiglioni on the strada regia romana that linked Florence with Rome. The village of Tavarnelle was never equipped with fortifications and stable with time you arrived to the fusion with the various neighboring villages as Il Borghetto, seat of the franciscan convent and Mocale placed on the road toward Marcialla.

The development of Tavarnelle occurred only in the nineteenth century thanks to the displacement toward his village of road toward Rome. In fact in the XVIII century it was made under the Poggio of factory a masonry bridge for the passage on the Pesa, passage that first occurred at Ford and that therefore brought travelers to pass the weighs on the stone bridge of Sambuca and then from there reach Siena via San Donato excluding the future capital. In addition to the road development was favored by the agriculture so that by 1822 was established the weekly market on the day of Thursday. In 1944 the passage of the front of the second world war led to numerous damage to the town in fact the municipal palace was completely destroyed. Tavarnelle Val di Pesa was released on 23 July 1944 by three companies of the Maori Battalion of the army of New Zealand. There followed a quick reconstruction and today the village of Tavarnelle is fairly undifferentiated except along the main street where there are numerous palazzotti six - eighteenth century some interest. Toward the end of the XX century the country has experienced a major urban development favored by the great location place com is between Florence and Siena.

Village of Tavarnelle Val di Pesa
Municipality of Tavarnelle Val di Pesa

Metropolitan City of Florence
Tuscany Region

Population: 7.786
Altitude centre: 378 m s.l.m.

the Municipality is part of:
Città del vino
Strada del Vino Chianti Colli Fiorentini
Unione del Chianti Fiorentino

Municipality
Piazza Matteotti 39 - Tel. +39 055 805081

BY CAR

  • From North and South: Take the A1 highway, exit at Firenze Certosa, continue on the Firenze - Siena highway, exit at Tavarnelle and follow the indications to enter the town.
  • From Siena: Take the Firenze - Siena highway in the direction of Florence, exit at Poggibonsi Nord and continue on the SR 2, cross Barberino Val d'Elsa and then follow signs for Tavarnelle.

ON THE TRAIN

  • Poggibonsi railway station

BY PLANE

  • Florence airport

Sleep, eat, buy...

Events

sunday
13
december, 2020

Santa Lucia

what else do you want
to discover?
e-borghi 2019-2020 All rights reserved • 3S Comunicazione - P. IVA 08058230965
Corso Buenos Aires, 92 - 20124 Milano | 02 87071950