The village of Castiglione Falletto (Castion Falèt in Piedmontese dialect) is located in the renowned region of the Langhe, in Piedmont. Born as a Roman settlement. In the course of the Middle Ages became a possession of the Marquises of Saluzzo, who erect an imposing quadrangular fortress on the hill. Become a possession of different feudal families of the Aleramici, Castiglione passed, at the fall of the Marquis Gabriele di Saluzzo, France, who held him until 1601 when, with the Treaty of Lyon, Castiglione became possession of Savoy in the Langhe. From that moment the country remained the Piedmontese territory of the House of Savoy until the Unity of Italy.
The toponym Falletto was added to the name of Castiglione in 1589, for the secular continuous possession of the fief of Castiglione from part of the illustrious and ancient family albese of the Falletti, builders of the castle. Advocate and judge Francesco Felice Vassallo, born in Dogliani, bought by Giambattista Falletti some points of jurisdiction of Castiglione Falletto and it was invested with noble title on 2 April 1680 and again on 30 July 1686. The grandson of Francesco Felice Vassallo, Ignatius of Baldassarre, obtained that the fief of Castiglione Falletto on 19 June 1772 was erected in the committee. Baldassarre, son of Count Ignazio and Marianna Giannazzo of Belvedere graduated in law and was the author of Writings on history and literary, today preserved manuscripts in the Royal Library of Turin. Baldassare married Felicita Cup Valmacca and from their union was born Filippo, Lieutenant in the brigade of Piedmont. The latter married in 1819 Ferdinanda Solaro di Moretta, heir of the goods of her family, and had 18 children.
Municipality of Castiglione Falletto
Province of Cuneo
Altitude centre: 350 m s.l.m.
Wine landscapes of Piedmont: Langhe, Roero and Monferrato
the Municipality is part of:
Città del vino
Unesco World Heritage
Unione Colline di Langa e del Barolo
Via Cavour 26 - Tel. +39 0173 62824
ON THE TRAIN