The most complete online resource about Italian villages
Login

Volpedo


Share
Birthplace of the painter Giuseppe Pellizza, author of the Fourth State, the historic center of the village of Volpedo stands on a hill on the right bank of the stream, around which the walls of the castrum were built, which stretches towards the Curone stream, constituting a ford point to the opposite bank. The main monument of the town is the Romanesque parish church of San Pietro, which houses interesting frescoes from the Tortona school.
  • Suitable for disabled people
  • Most beautiful villages in Italy
Volpedo  |
Volpedo
Volpedo  |
Volpedo
Volpedo  |
Volpedo
Volpedo  |
Volpedo
Volpedo  |
Volpedo
Volpedo  |
Volpedo
Volpedo  |
Volpedo
Volpedo  |
Volpedo
Volpedo  |
Volpedo

About the village

Volpedo (Volped in the local dialect), in Piedmont, is the native village of the painter Giuseppe Pellizza, author of the fourth state. Other areas of excellence are the cultivation of fishing and the fruit in general. The historical nucleus is set on a hill on the right bank of the stream, around which were built the walls of the castrum, which stretches toward the Torrent Curone, constitute a point of ford toward the opposite side.

A sepulchral stele testifies Roman presence already in the first century, even if the settlement probably dates back to the ancient Ligurian populations. The first written memory of the country is of 21 August 966, where it will appoint the pieve. During the X century the country is attested by various names: Vicus Piculus, Vicus Peculus, Vipegulus, Vulpeculus, then still a vicus, i.e. a roman village. Always the same period would be, in addition to the parish the castrum, the fortified village of which is still visible today part of the boundary wall (rebuilt in the XVI century). In the XII century becomes Vicus pecudis, village of sheep, and its fate bind to the town of Tortona, which assists during the siege of Federico Barbarossa in 1155. In 1347 Tortona passes under the Visconti of Milan that in 1412 grant Volpedo as a fief to the condottiere Perino Cameri. The latter in 1425 gives it to the factory of the Cathedral of Milan that allows the borgo considerable administrative autonomy. In 1513 the historic rivalry with the village of Monleale, on the left bank of the Curone, Ghibelline faction, and Volpedo, Guelfo, led to the destruction of the latter, including the walls of the castrum that were reconstructed from 1589 when Milan was under the Spanish domination. In 1738 Volpedo, together with all the Tortonese, passes under the Kingdom of Sardinia and is given by the Savoy family to the Marquis Filippo Guidobono Cavalchini of Momperone to then move in 1849 to the Malaspina.

The main monument of the country is the Romanesque church of San Pietro, which preserves interesting frescoes of the school of Tortona.

The painter Giuseppe Pellizza da Volpedo (1868-1907) he chose to live and work in the country in which it was born and as a sign of devotion to his land, to add to his signature "da Volpedo". At the end of the village, toward the cemetery, you find the birthplace and the study of Giuseppe Pellizza da Volpedo. In it are preserved work tools, personal objects, books and also some works of the artist.

Village of Volpedo
Municipality of Volpedo
province of Alessandria
Piedmont Region

Inhabitants: 1.206
Altitude center: 182 m a.s.l.

The Municipality is part of:
I Borghi più belli d'Italia
Sustainable Villages of Piedmont
Strada del Vino dei Colli Tortonesi

Municipality
Piazza Libertà 26 - Tel. 0131-80141

BY CAR

  • From Milan: Take the A7 highway, exit at Castelnuovo Scrivia, continue on the SP 93, take the SS 10, continue for Viguzzolo, Castellar Guidobono, continue on the SP 100 and follow the signs for Volpedo.
  • From Bologna: From the A14 Adriatica highway, continue on the A1 Autostrada del Sole, near Piacenza, continue on the A21 highway, exit at Voghera, continue on the Tangenziale di Voghera, take the SS 10, continue towards Viguzzolo, Castellar Guidobono, continue on the SP 100 and follow the signs for Volpedo.
  • From Genoa: Take the A7 highway, exit at Tortona, at the roundabout, take the 2nd exit and continue on the EXSS 211 in the direction of Tortona / Novi Ligure, take the SS 10, pass the towns of Tortona, Castellar Guidobono, continue on the SP 100 and follow the signs for Volpedo.
  • From Turin: Take the A21 motorway, continue on the A7 motorway until the Tortona exit, continue on the EXSS 211 in the direction of Tortona / Novi Ligure, take the SS 10, pass the towns of Tortona, Castellar Guidobono, continue on the SP 100 and follow the signs for Volpedo.
  • From Aosta: With the A5 Aosta-Turin motorway, reach the junction in the direction of Genoa-Milan and follow the signs for Alessandria, near Alessandria, continue on the A21 motorway, then continue on the A7 motorway to the Tortona exit, continue on the EXSS 211 in the direction of Tortona / Novi Ligure, take the SS 10, pass the towns of Tortona, Castellar Guidobono, continue on the SP 100 and follow the signs for Volpedo.
  • From Alessandria: Take the SS 10, pass the Spinetta Marengo hamlet, continue on the SS 10, pass the towns of Tortona, Castellar Guidobono, continue on the SP 100 and follow the signs for Volpedo.

BY PLANE

  • Genoa airport
  • Milan Linate Airport
  • Milan Malpensa Airport
  • Turin airport

BY SEA

  • Port of Genoa

Sleep, eat, buy...

Events

sunday
16
august, 2020

Beato Giovannino Martire

sunday
16
august, 2020

Antiques and Modernism Market

From the blog

Alone, in the family or in a group. It does not matter if you are very trained or "Sunday" biker: for everyone and to discover the villages of Piedmont in a slow perspective, there is Piemontebike.eu. with a myriad of proposals. The portal, created in synergy with the Piedmont Region, is now even richer because it extends to five territories to be discovered: the Langhe and the Roero, the Alessandrino - with the Monferrato - and the Asti area ...
Continue
what else do you want
to discover?
e-borghi 2019-2020 All rights reserved • 3S Comunicazione - P. IVA 08058230965
Corso Buenos Aires, 92 - 20124 Milano | 02 87071950