The most complete online resource about slow tourism and Italian villages
Join our community

Abbey of San Fruttuoso

What to see in Camogli, Genova, Liguria


the Abbey, located in Capodimonte inside the Mount Portofino Park is dedicated to San Fruttuoso di Tarragona, Bishop and Saint Catalan of the III century, whose ashes are conserved at the Abbey, where would have been translated as a result of the arab invasion of the Iberian Peninsula.

The Abbey is not reachable from any road artery, but can be accessed only by sea or along two scenic trails: one that descends from above Monte di Portofino and the other which follows the coast from the bay of Portofino. The abbey looks on in front of the beach for bathing. In 1951 there was filmed the devil in the convent of Nunzio Malasomma with Gilberto Govi.

In its bay is located the famous statue of Christ of the abyss, mail in 1954 on the seabed and restored in the 1990s. The Abbey was erected in the middle of the X century by Greek monks and was rebuilt between the end of the X century and the beginning of the XI century at the behest of Adelaide di Borgogna, widow of the Emperor Otto I.

In the halls of the monastic complex a restoration completed in the nineties has brought to light the ancient Romanesque structures, it has set up a museum dedicated to the history of the abbey. In several reliquaries are exposed the ceramic tableware, discoveries in a deposit of the monastery and various geographical origins, used from the 13th to the 14th century by the monks. The primary nolare tower, considered to be among the most ancient architectural elements of Liguria, was built around the X century with spherical cap and slightly oval, according to the canon artistic of the Byzantines. Only after the structure was superimposed with a new octagonal tower with pilasters to view.

The upper cloister was built in the XII century, it was almost entirely rebuilt in the course of the sixteenth century at the behest of the famous onegliese admiral Andrea Doria. The cloister was provided by covers spider, with use of capitals in the Romanesque style and columns of various origin. At the lower level of the cloister there is the tomb of the Doria family, granted by the same Benedictine monks. The aristocratic tombs - in which are housed the corpses of seven members Doria died between the 1275 and 1305 - are in white marble and gray stone alternately, as in a classic and typical ligurian duotone. They are arranged in a row on the three sides of the compartment and constituted by arche in masonry individual or in pairs - largely with epigraphs - surmounted by arcosolia acute sixth, supported by small marble columns with roof hut. In addition to the tombs of the seven components of the Doria family there are two other graves and a Roman sarcophagus of which you are unaware of the identity of the characters have been buried.

The tower, entitled to Andrea Doria by his heirs, was built in the respect of the clause giuspatronato granted by Giulio III to Andrea Doria in 1551 to defend the village and its providential source of water, used by the monks from the incursions of the Barbary pirates. The tower was equipped with heavy artillery and slight: three cannons in bronze, a bomber, 33 muskets and archibugi that, for its armament, cost 2687 gold scudi. On the two sides there is the coat of arms of the Doria, the imperial eagle, while other decorations are visible on the frames and on the shelves. Changed his appearance in the seventeenth century when it was made to construct a new roof by Abbot Orazio Spinola.

  • Via mare, Camogli (Genova)
  • Religious location

Sleep, eat, buy...

= distances as the crow flies
Trattoria Osvaldo
Via della Casa, 2R - 16146, Genova (Genova)
21.62 Kilometers from
= distances as the crow flies
= distances as the crow flies


may, 2023

San Fortunato

august, 2023

Feast of the Stella Maris

august, 2023

San Prospero patronal Feast

what else do you want
to discover?
e-borghi 2019-2023 All rights reserved • 3S Comunicazione - P. IVA 08058230965
Via Achille Grandi 46, 20017, Rho (Milano) | 02 92893360