The construction of the Saluzzo castle can be dated to between 1270 and 1286 on the basis of previous fortifications. The name "Castiglia" derives from the Latin plural "castella" (the castles).
The Marquis Ludovico II (1475-1504) wanted to transform the fortress into a noble residence on the occasion of his marriage to Margherita di Foix in 1492. The massive circular tower dates back to that period and a series of monochromatic frescoes, today partially visible on the access staircase to the exhibition floors.
The French occupation of the Marquisate (1549-1588) and the subsequent annexation to the Duchy of Savoy led to its decline and in 1825 work began to transform the building into a prison, a function it maintained until 1992, the main body was rebuilt with the consequent destruction of the fifteenth-century decorations.
Today Castile is home to the Museum of Chivalry and the Museum of Prison Memory, which commemorates the two main functions carried out by the building. Furthermore, the IGAV Permanent Exhibition - Istituto Garuzzo for the Visual Arts (ground floor) and the Historical Archive (second floor) are located in the nineteenth-century sleeve. The jail city walls, still intact, allow the visitor to follow a path that allows one to perceive the Castile in all its grandeur.