The island of Mazzorbo, located along the canal that reaches Venice from Torcello, is located west of Burano, connected by a wooden bridge called Ponte Longo.
A village consisting of a few inhabitants is still characterized today by the presence of cultivated areas on which traditional fruit and vegetable activities take place (such as the cultivation of castraure). The Scarpa Volo estate, owned by the municipality, is also of particular interest, where the dorona, a vine typical of the Venetian lagoon, is grown.
Some archaeological finds prove that the island was already frequented in pre-Roman times: during an excavation conducted in 1881, some Mycenaean jars were found (now preserved in the Provincial Museum of Torcello) which demonstrate how the area was subject to commercial exchanges already in that period.
In ancient times, Mazzorbo had five parish churches and six monasteries. Apart from the church of Santa Maria in Val Verde, founded in the thirteenth century, all the others are mentioned in the manuscript 768 kept in the Provincial Museum of Torcello, containing the list of religious buildings present on the island in the twelfth century.
Currently, the only religious building left is the church of Santa Caterina, the current parish church. The bell tower remains of the church of Sant'Angelo, near the northeast corner of the village.
Village of Mazzorbo
Town of Venice
Inhabitants: 350 (nel borgo)
Center altitude: 2 m s.l.m.
the Municipality is part of:
Città del bio
Città e siti patrimonio mondiale Unesco
Town of Venice
San Marco 4136 - Venezia (VE)