Cordovado (Cordovât in Friulian) derives from "Curtis de Vado", Latin name that meant a great agricultural complex (Curtis) near a ford (vadum) on the river Tagliamento (on a branch now disappeared of the river). The first official appointment of Cordovado occurs in a document of 1186, but the ancient village is born probably on the ruins of a Roman castrum, which was placed in defense of a ford of the Via Augusta, track that from the Roman Concordia Sagittaria led to "Noriker", on a branch now dried up the river Tagliamento. Always was a possession of the bishops of Concordia (so much so as to become a summer residence and subsidiary headquarters), who ruled it through a steward, charging this is attributed to the family of Ridolfi who had the task of reside there permanently, to preserve and defend it, administer and amministrarvi justice (was granted to the Community wide autonomy, as the criminal jurisdiction and the Statute of 1337).
All the fortified complex underwent in 1387 the siege of troops carraresi and in 1412 that of the Venetian troops against Hungarians asserragliativisi. In 1420 it passed to the Republic of Venice, which confirmed the Bishop the right to possess and jurisdiction over Cordovado, which was raised to the rank of the marquisate. Then followed all the vicissitudes of the Communes of the Patria del Friuli up to the union with the Kingdom of Italy in 1866.
The actual fortified area is the result of changes and stratifications which have succeeded one another in time, the most significant ones between six and eight hundred. The external circle of walls with rampart, Fossato, two towers portaie still present today in the early middle ages was enclosing an inner space constituted by Episcopal castle, in turn provided with walls and moat with a drawbridge, mastio and other buildings, next stood the village. The last description us seam of the castle that belonged to the bishops of Concordia dates back to 1856, shortly before its definitive reduction. Along south-eastern walls are the remains of the moat and the houses built inside the fence in the XIX century. The two towers portaie, the southern preserves the posterla, Northern, also called the Clock, ladders and walkways in wood to its inside.
To the south of the medieval village of remarkable interest the elegant "ancient Cathedral of S.Andrea" in Romanesque style (the portal bears the date of 1477) with frescoes on the apse made at the beginning of the Sixteenth Century by Gianfrancesco da Tolmezzo. To the north of the village, is located another pearl, the Sanctuary of the Madonna delle Grazie (1603) which is a jewel of baroque art, octagonal shape with beautifully carved ceiling gilded by Cataldo Ferrara (1656-58), ovals painted by Antonio Carneo with figures of the Sybils and the Prophets, statues in stucco of Andrea dell'Aquila and the paintings by Antonio Moretto. In the vicinity of the village has been opened to the public a theme park dedicated to the famous novelist Ippolito Nievo, that Cordovado and surroundings has set the initial parts of his famous "Confessions of an Italian".
Village of Cordovado
Municipality of Cordovado
Province of Pordenone
Friuli Venezia Giulia Region
Altitude centre: 15 m s.l.m.
the Municipality is part of:
I Borghi più belli d'Italia
Municipality of Cordovado
Piazza Cecchini 24 - Cordovado (PN)
Tel. +39 0434 68058
ON THE TRAIN