On one of the three packages on which it stands Monteverde, The Serro dell'Incoronata, are visible walls dating back to the IV-III century B.C.; certain scholars in the past, Tesero to identify this site in Cominium. In any case, Monteverde was founded in an area frequented since the Neolithic period. The next time the presence of the Romans is testified not only by the remains of a bridge, known as "stone bridge of the Oglio River", but also by the repeated finds in the territory of precious objects of roman art, ancient armours, coins and finds coming from the Greek colonies.
Roman historian Titus Livius cites the village sannita of Cominium Ocritum, touched by Annone, general Hannibal during the Second Punic War. The historic Nicola Fierro, in his study on the battle of Aquilonia, identifies Cominium Ocritum with Monteverde. This identification is also claimed from Cerreto Sannita, note subsequently in Latin as Cominium Cerritum.
The name Cominium is osco, sannite, and is identical to the Cominium whose name is preserved in the Valley of Comino and in San Donato Val di Comino. The name Cominium seems to refer to the location in which they were convened meetings (comitia); probably one of them existed for each population or tribe of the Oscan language. It is in fact attested to the presence of the toponym for Marrucini, Equicoli, Pentri and Irpini.
The village rose in the Middle Ages. In the XI century became a bishopric and had its own Bishop until 1531, the year in which the diocese of Monteverde was united to the Diocese of reeds. From 1532 to 1641 was the Lordship of Monteverde for the Grimaldi Princes of Monaco Marquises of campaign. In 1513, the feudatory was Ferdinando Orsini, Duke of Gravina; in 1695 the Regio Fisco revenge Monteverde to Sangermano Giacinto Jeronimo, bishop of Nusco and Sangermano Michele who became Baron of Monteverde, taking possession of the castle located at the top of the village. In 1694, a terrible earthquake hit Monteverde.
Certainly deserve a visit the Baronial Castle of Sangermano and the Cathedral of Saint Mary of Nazareth.
The village is renowned for the sausages of pork meat, such as soppressata, sausage and capocollo, and dairy products of the bovine herd wild as caciocavallo, scamorza, ricotta, fresh cheese and seasoned. Among the typical dishes stand out some tasty recipes from peasant loaf of corn flour cooked on burning coals in replacing the bread or to enrich the boiled field vegetables, you arrive at most elaborate dishes, but always of the agropastoral derivation, based on homemade pasta (ravioli, orecchiette, cavatelli, lasagna), legumes (chick peas, beans, lentils, broad beans, chickling), vegetables (cabbage, chicory, asparagus). The robust wine of Aglianico grapes Sangiovese and accompanies sausages and white and red meat, including the head of lamb with potatoes, typical dish of the Easter period.
Monteverde was the birthplace of the Blessed Jordan and Archbishop of Conza, Antonio Buglione and Professor Federico Bocchetti clinical, illustrious, Professor at the University of Rome, volunteer of every war, disappeared on the Russian front on 29 December 1942. Finally it is the country of origin of Mario Draghi, President of the European Central Bank.
Village of Monteverde
Municipality of Monteverde
Province of Avellino
Altitude centre: 740 m s.l.m.
the Municipality is part of:
I Borghi più belli d'Italia
Comunità Montana Alta Irpinia
Municipality of Monteverde
Via Fontana - Monteverde (AV)
Tel. +39 0827 86043
ON THE TRAIN