Village of Furore
Municipality of Furore
Province of Salerno
Altitude centre: 300 m s.l.m.
Unesco Site: Amalfi Coast
Municipality of Furore
Via Mola 29 - Furore (SA)
Furore is a small jewel perched on the Amalfi Coast, which has just under 800 inhabitants.
For the conformation of the village hidden in the mountains, the village of Furore is called "the country that does not exist".
From the rigid aspect of the rock and the fluid aspect of the sea, Furore is a village divided into two: on one side its marina, that is the Fjord, on the other the village, with its houses scattered along the ridge, practically invisible to the eyes of those traveling along the Amalfi coast.
Part of the most beautiful villages in Italy, the town center is divided into three districts: Contrada della Gatta, Contrada della Cicala and Contrada del Ciuccio.
In Furore you can admire the Church of San Giacomo, which is the oldest in the Fiordo di Furore, the Church of San Michele and the Church of Sant’Elia.
The Fiordo is a split due to an almost always dry stream, the Schiato, which descends steeply from the edge of the Agerola plateau. It is also bypassed by the state road through a 30 m high suspension bridge, from which, every summer, a stage of the World Championship of Great Heights takes place.
Inside the fjord there are the Stenditoio and the Calcara, two buildings used for local productions. The drying rack was used to dry the sheets of paper extracted from the fabric fibers. La Calcara instead was used for processing stones for local construction.
Founded by the Romans, the village of Furore was, due to its particular physical-geographic conformation, a stronghold which could not be attacked even at the time of the Saracen raids. It emerged from the complete anonymity with the compilation of the carolino catastrophe of 1752 that restores the image of a small coastal community scattered on the territory, devoid of cultivable and scarcely inhabited land. Its inhabitants were dedicated to sheep-farming and crafts. Some of the most important families have given names to places and streets: Li Summonti. The Porcupines, Li Cuomi, Li Candidi. The Summonti moved to Naples in 1400. But they left Furore their impression of probe men, constituting a massive donation of ducats whose annual income had to marry a "poor and honest zitella" of Furore. The Furorese were also obliged to go to the Neapolitan mansion of the Summonti, in gratitude and respect, "three rolls of bones, living bones and fetters to receive". It was a farmhouse in the town of Amalfi. His name, probably, had to be derived from the fjord of his Navy, inside which there were opiates for paper production and wheat milling. These activities were fueled by the waters of the Schiatro stream that descended from the Lattari Mountains.
NOTE: distances are set as the crow flies.