It was built as a public utility in 1886. It guaranteed the supply of running water to the outskirts of the town. The project was entrusted to engineer Cerasoli. The official inauguration took place on 13 June 1886, as evidenced by the two marble plaques on the façade.
The fountain, framed by curvilinear walls, is built in tuff and consists of two basins. The coat of arms of the Municipality of Grotte di Castro appears at the top.