Castel Tasso is one of the best preserved castles in South Tyrol. It was first mentioned in 1104. Until the middle of the 13th century, the episcopal ministerial resided here, then the castle passed into the ownership of Count Albert of Tyrol, who entrusted it to the Trautson family, who became his loyal vassals. After further changes of ownership, the castle was assigned (1469) to the Knights of the Teutonic Order by Duke Sigmund der Münzreiche (Sigismund the Wealthy), in settlement of a debt owed to them.
It remained in their possession until the Napoleonic era, when the Bavarian government confiscated the assets of the Teutonic Commandery of Sterzing and granted the castle to the Thurn und Taxis family, to repay them for the reliable postal service they had previously provided in the German territories.
The castle is still owned by this noble family today. Sights inside the castle: the smoke kitchen, the soldiers' and servants' dormitories, the green room decorated with splendid frescoes and the nearby chapel of St. Zeno.
Ph. Klaus Peterlin