Varzo, in the province of Verbano Cusio Ossola in Piedmont, is located in the heart of Val Divedro and rises along the border with Switzerland. The origin of the name dates back to the Celtic word "vargo", enlargement, due to its geographical position.
The village is in fact located in a valley that leads to the Simplon Pass and an area where border disputes between Italy and Switzerland were frequent
Varzo, over the centuries, was inhabited by different populations, Ligurians, Celts and Leponzi, from which derives the name of the Lepontine Alps. It is the largest municipality in the Ossola area, made up of numerous hamlets, and it is characterized by its historic center in medieval style where there are La Piazza, the famous tower, built in stone in the 14th century and the Parish church, with a facade and bell tower in Romanesque style, dating back to 1100 A.C.
In the homonymous square, adjacent to the more recently built Piazzale Trieste, there is a monument in memory of the soldiers of Varese who fell during the two world wars.
The lands that make up the Val Divedro, due to its orographic conformation and climate, have never been able to guarantee food self-sufficiency and for this reason the local cuisine has undergone various influences.
The local gastronomy is mostly made up of typical dishes, rich in flavour, of the Ossola cuisine in general.
Among these there are the crostini with lard and honey with salami of donkey, the pasta rustia, the Cuchêla, typical dish par excellence, the walnut cake and the coffee of the pot.
ON THE TRAIN