The most complete online resource about Italian villages
Login

Condove


Share
Condove is today an important municipality located on the left bank of the Dora Riparia. Its villages are scattered on the vast mountain side exposed to the south which extends from the valley floor to the ridge with the Valle di Viù. Characteristic is the inclined bell tower of the ancient church of San Rocco located at the entrance of the town
  • Village in the mountain
  • Suitable for disabled people
  • Camper parking area
Condove  | Edoardo Schiari
Condove
Edoardo Schiari
Condove  | Edoardo Schiari
Condove
Edoardo Schiari
Condove  | Edoardo Schiari
Condove
Edoardo Schiari
Condove  | Valle Susa Tesori
Condove
Valle Susa Tesori
Condove  | Valle Susa Tesori
Condove
Valle Susa Tesori
Condove  | Valle Susa Tesori
Condove
Valle Susa Tesori
Condove  | Valle Susa Tesori
Condove
Valle Susa Tesori
Condove  | Edoardo Schiari
Condove
Edoardo Schiari
Condove  | Valle Susa Tesori
Condove
Valle Susa Tesori
A look at Condove
A look at Condove

About the village

A vast territory between the torrents Gravio and sexes that extends along the ridge with the Valle di Viù up to understand the pastures upstream of Borgone. A mountainous area composed of over 70 hamlets, some of which were at least up to the early '900 independent common. Between these Mocchie, now one of the villages most populous of Condove, with the parish church of San Saturnino (1778-1784) built on a project by Giacinto Morari (student of Bernardo Vittone), and a rich ethnographic museum that overlooks the square in front of the church with the statue dedicated to the women of the mountain. Characteristic is the bell tower which is inclined by the ancient church of San Rocco is placed at the entry of the country. The Chapel of San Grato Alla Rocca has a small frescoed cycle of the late sixteenth century, while that of San Bernardo al Lajetto retains a lively frescoed cycle dating back to 1436.

The oldest settlement of Condove, cited since the year 1001 in the diploma of Ottoniano, was the lordship of the Peyretti and Barali di Susa, had to lie in the flat area around the ancient church of San Rocco where rose the cemetery. During the restoration works, in the phase of the excavation of the ancient apse was found a piece of good jewelry, bronze and enamel, depicting the Crucifixion, now in the Museo Diocesano in Susa, and furthermore the polls have revealed a part of the fresco in the triumphal arch, considered by the experts as perhaps the oldest existing in the valley.

At the border with Caprie on a hill dominating the entrance to the valley between Mount Pirchiriano and the castle of the Conte Verde rises the castrum capriarum, which constituted the center of one of the castellanie abbaziali di San Giusto di Susa and was also the seat of the court and prison. The remains of a castle could be the testimony of a local defensive system ancient linked to the clash between Charlemagne, King of the Franks, and desire, King of the Lombards, which took place between the 771 and the 774 to Closed.

Agricultural and Commercial Center, Condove knew at the beginning of the twentieth century a industrial vocation as a result of the installation of the Officine Moncenisio that already in 1905 as "Anonymous Bauchiero" produced rolling stock. It also developed factories mechanical, textile and electrical and production changed over time and were built weapons over the railway material. Of the original settlement remained the office building with a facade in plaster and two condominiums facts build from Bauchiero to house workers and families.

The Modern Parish Church of San Pietro in Vincoli is the work of the architect Carlo Siffredi, while the decoration of the interior walls must be the painter Luciano Bartoli. The bell tower, the gift of the spouses Cosimo Bertacchi and Marina period, was built in 1929 on the model of the S. Giorgio in Venice, work of Corrado Meano.

Among the most important events it is pointed out, in the context of the "Gustovalsusa", the Fair of the Toma (first Sunday of October), the carnival of Lajetto with the traditional masks of Barbujre (late February) and the Valsusa Filmfest (April).

Village of Condove
Municipality of Condove

Metropolitan City of Turin
Piedmont Region

Population: 4.641
Altitude centre: 376 m s.l.m.

the Municipality is part of:
Unione Montana Valle Susa

Municipality
Piazza Martiri della Libertà 7 - Tel. +39 011 9643102

BY CAR

  • DaTorino: take the A 32 highway, direction Frejus with exit at Avigliana Est exit; State Road 24 towards Susa until reaching the destination.
  • From Bardonecchia: take the A 32 motorway towards Turin with the exit for Chianocco / Bussoleno; continue on State Road 25, towards Turin, up to Borgone Susa, then on State Road 24 until you reach your destination.

BY PLANE

  • Caselle International Airport

Sleep, eat, buy...

B&B Antico Borgo
Via Principe Tommaso, 30 - 10011, Agli (Torino)
45.03 Kilometers from Condove
Trattoria Mamy
Corso Torino, 73 - 10051, Avigliana (Torino)
8.23 Kilometers from Condove
Azienda Agricola Ivano Challier
Fraz. Balboutet, Via Parco Orsiera, 2 - 10060, Usseaux (Torino)
23.52 Kilometers from Condove
Ski Sport Dain
Villaggio Campo Smith - 10052, Bardonecchia (Torino)
48.32 Kilometers from Condove

Events

sunday
4
october, 2020

Fair of the Toma

tuesday
27
july, 2021

San Pietro in Vincoli

what else do you want
to discover?
e-borghi 2019-2020 All rights reserved • 3S Comunicazione - P. IVA 08058230965
Corso Buenos Aires, 92 - 20124 Milano | 02 87071950