The most complete online resource about Italian villages
Login

Fenestrelle


Share
The village of Fenestrelle has a remarkable historical importance: the Mutin fort, which bears the signature of the famous Vauban and that imposing complex of fortifications known with the generic name of "Forte di Fenestrelle", bear witness to this. The famous fortress lies on the slopes of Monte Orsiera and inside the homonymous park. Today it has become a prominent and popular hub for valley tourism, it is also the largest fortified structure in Europe.
  • Village in the mountain
  • Village on a lake
  • Village with castle
  • Suitable for disabled people
  • Camper parking area
Fenestrelle  | Marco Fine/shutterstock
Fenestrelle
Marco Fine/shutterstock
Fenestrelle  | LianeM/shutterstock
Fenestrelle
LianeM/shutterstock
Fenestrelle  | ELEPHOTOS/shutterstock
Fenestrelle
ELEPHOTOS/shutterstock
Fenestrelle  |
Fenestrelle
Fenestrelle  | cosca/shutterstock
Fenestrelle
cosca/shutterstock
Fenestrelle  | ELEPHOTOS/shutterstock
Fenestrelle
ELEPHOTOS/shutterstock
Fenestrelle  | ELEPHOTOS/shutterstock
Fenestrelle
ELEPHOTOS/shutterstock

Events

tuesday
25
august, 2020

San Luigi

About the village

Fenestrelle (Fenestrele in Piedmont, Finistrelas or Fenetrèlla in Occitan) is located in the middle of Val Chisone, in Piedmont. In a basin dominated by Mount Orsiera and Mount Albergian, it has always been a strategic knot for the political and military control of the entire valley. During the Roman era, Fenestrelle belonged to the border area of ​​King Cozio's kingdom and was called Finis Terrae Cotii ("the border of Coty land"), which is the name of today. It belonged to the Marchesato of Susa, to the committee of Turin and to the abbots of Pinerolo in the medieval period. It was hospitable to Waldensian communities until the revocation of the Nantes Edict. It is recalled that until the 17th century, the population of the Puy township was entirely Waldensian. Throughout the centuries Fenestrelle's history was often linked to French domination. part of the Dolphin for many centuries. During this period, the Muti Fort was built and a Jesuit convent was established to restore the Catholic religion, which remains an octagonal bell tower.

With the Treaty of Utrecht (1713), along with the whole of Val Chisone, he passed definitively under the rule of the Savoy. In the 18th century it was fortified by Alessandro Vittorio Papacino. The Chisone Valley was controlled by the Savoy in 1713 following the peace of Utrecht and was soon subjected to important fortifications to block a possible French return. The construction of the Fenestrelle Fort complex (referred to as the "Great Piedmont Wall") falls within these actions. To prevent the enemy from acting on the forts of Exilles and Fenestrelle passing along the watershed between val Susa and the Chisone valley, it was decided, at the end of the 19th century, to build a series of works to preserve the hill of Assietta and of the Windows, linked together by a freighter and a number of numerous mule tracks. This square never had the baptism of fire, but it was equally important because of its "dissuasive" role.

They certainly deserve a visit to the Fort of Fenestrelle, the Parish Church of St. Louis IX.

We also remember the hamlet of Pracatinat, located at 1785 m. of altitude. Prà Catinat means Catinat lawn and is named after French General Nicolas de Catinat de La Fauconnerie, who has conducted various military raids in the Piedmont valleys. The general in the resort passed with 10,000 men of his troops in the winter of 1693-1694. The site was important because there was a sanatorium dedicated to Giovanni Agnelli for the treatment of tuberculosis. The sanatorium, built in 1929, consisted of two pavilions, one for male mothers and one for female mothers. Today, the two structures, which are no longer usable for therapeutic purposes since 1982, have become a Laboratory that designs and implements multiple educational, training, cultural and research activities. The location is particularly impressive from a hiking point of view. From here starts a dirt road that in about five miles leads to the shelter of Selleries. Near Pracatinat there is the famous Red Bridge, access to the Fort of the Valleys, the upper part of the great Fort of Fenestrelle. It should be remembered, however, that such access is usually closed because the Red Bridge is not safe and excursions to the Fortress of Fortress are always starting from the bottom (Fort St. Charles); Extraordinary opening of the bridge takes place in case of organized events.

Village of Fenestrelle
Municipality of Fenestrelle
 
Metropolitan City of Turin
Piemonte Region

Inhabitants: 530
Center Altitude: 1154 m s.l.m.

The Municipality is part of
Comunità Montana Valli del Chisone e Germanasca

Acknowledgments
Orange flag - Touring Club Italia

Protected natural areas:
Orsiera-Rocciavré Natural Park

Municipality of Fenestrelle
Via Roma 8 - Fenestrelle (TO)
Tel. 0121-83910

BY CAR

  • Take the south ring road of Turin (direction Sestriere), Turin-Pinerolo motorway (Autostrada del Pinerolese), follow the signs for Val Chisone - Sestriere, until you meet the town of Fenestrelle.

BY PLANE

  • Turin Caselle Airport
  • Cuneo Levaldigi Airport

Sleep, eat, buy...

B&B Antico Borgo
Via Principe Tommaso, 30 - 10011, Agli (Torino)
66.99 Kilometers from Fenestrelle
Trattoria Mamy
Corso Torino, 73 - 10051, Avigliana (Torino)
28.33 Kilometers from Fenestrelle
Azienda Agricola Ivano Challier
Fraz. Balboutet, Via Parco Orsiera, 2 - 10060, Usseaux (Torino)
22.99 Kilometers from Fenestrelle
Ski Sport Dain
Villaggio Campo Smith - 10052, Bardonecchia (Torino)
28.10 Kilometers from Fenestrelle
what else do you want
to discover?
e-borghi 2019-2020 All rights reserved • 3S Comunicazione - P. IVA 08058230965
Corso Buenos Aires, 92 - 20124 Milano | 02 87071950