The village of Santa Severa is situated along the via Aurelia, at the southern end of the maremma laziale and at the foot of the Monti della Tolfa. It takes its name from Santa Severa, here martired in the II century.
At the same site as the Castle of Santa Severa, at the southern boundary of the fraction, stood already in the Bronze Age a coastal village, witnessed by some ceramic discoveries. Subsequently in the area was developed the important Etruscan settlement of Pyrgi, which was the main port of Caere (today's Cerveteri) and one of the most important seaports of the whole of Etruria. Frequented by merchants the Greeks and Phoenicians, Pyrgi was the seat of a famous Shrine sacred to the goddess Uni (assimilated to the Phoenician Astarte). On the site of the ancient Etruscan port was implanted in 264 B.C. a Roman colony, fortified by imposing walls "cyclopean" still partly preserved. In the course of the Middle Ages developed on the ruins of the Roman town is a small medieval village flanked by a castle of the XI century overlooking the sea. In 1068 the Norman knight Gerardo di Galeria gave the church and the Castle of Santa Severa to Farfa Abbey who then ceded it to the Brothers of Saint Paul. The noble families of Tiniosi and Bonaventure the contended for decades until in 1482 Pope Sixtus IV not donated it to the Pio Istituto Holy Spirit.
The seaside resort of Santa Severa was developed in the 1930s as a summer residence of many fascist hierarchy.
In the village at the castle is the seat of the Museum of the sea and the ancient Navigation, dedicated to illustration of maritime trade during the ancient age. Of great interest also the Church of Santa Maria Assunta, which presents a Romanesque interior with a canvas of altar depicting the recruitment between Santa Severa and Santa Marinella.
Pyrgi is the greek name of a port city inhabited by the Etruscans on the slopes of the Monti della Tolfa, in place of the current village of Santa Severa. Archaeological excavations have demonstrated the existence in the site of a protohistoric Village, witnessed by the discovery of pottery from the Bronze Age. Pyrgi was the port of Caere, today's Cerveteri; destroyed from the fleet of Dionysius of Syracuse in 384 BC, it became a roman colony in 264 B.C. The Roman town remain traces of the majestic wall circuit in polygonal work, in which opened some ports, as well as numerous artifacts and inscriptions in Latin language preserved in Santa Severa Castle and the medieval village that surrounds it. The city is mentioned by Virgil in the Aeneid among the populations that came to the aid of Enea.
Was brought to light an extended sacred area with a temple tuscanic to three cells, dated at 470-460 BC, and a more ancient temple, peripter and a single cell of the end of the VI century B.C.; is simultaneously rinvennero abundant fragments of architectural terracottas among which a high relief that represents a gigantomachia, relevant to the more recent temple. Then near the oldest temple were founded the Pyrgi laminas, three gold plates with inscriptions in the Etruscan language and in Phoenician, which bear witness to a sacred dedication in honor of the goddess Uni by the king of Caere Thefarie Velianas. All the sanctuary, situated at the end of the road that from Caere led to the port of Pyrgi, was dedicated to the Etruscan goddess Uni (equivalent to the Roman Juno), assimilated the great Phoenician Mother Astarte for the abundant presence of Phoenician merchants in the village.
ON THE TRAIN