Scoglitti is the seaside resort of victory and looks out on the Channel of Sicily, near the mouth of the river Ippari. The territory lies on the plane of victory; The coast has wide beaches, covered by dunes, a fine golden sand. Also located near the archeological area of Kamarina.
It was known with the toponym of Gazirat el-Haman ("Scoglietti dei Colombi"). Settlements are recorded from the XVII century, concomitantly with the foundation of victory, which constitutes the outlet to the sea and the port for the connection with Malta. The development of the area will only following the abolition of feudalism in 1812. Consequently it was initially the expansion of trade in wine, but also the exploitation of the port that served as caricatoio for agricultural products; in the XX century spread also of warehouses for the salting of fish, which today no longer exist.
The urban fabric developed only in the nineteenth century and remained almost unchanged until the fifties. The small hamlet of Marina was also the theater of the landing anglo-american took place on 9 and 10 July 1943 (landing in Sicily), part of the operation Husky, which foresaw the landing anglo-american in Italian territory and the beginning of the campaign of Italy.
Has in its interior the urbanistic the small church of Santa Maria di Portosalvo today called San Francesco di Paola to distinguish it from the new church of the same name, the Mother Church of Santa Maria di Portosalvo built in 1937 gift of Pope Pius XI, inside which is stored the wooden statue of "S. Franciscuzzu", coming from a Spanish ship sank in the past centuries and the beautiful statue of the Patron Saint Assunta of Cammarana, Santa Maria di Portosalvo of 1685; the headlight ("a lantern") and many architectural structures in Liberty style.
Scoglitti economically enjoys fishing, agriculture in greenhouses, and especially tourism. In recent years there is equipped to encourage visitors a rich summer program of sports and cultural. Characteristic of the small seafaring village is the fish auction at the fish market every day.
The port of Scoglitti was built in 1879, due to the Rosary Cancellieri, when he felt the need for a true port. Before that date the port played a fundamental role in the eighteenth century, with export to Malta of wine Cerasuolo, thanks to the cultivation of vineyards in the surrounding territory.
Village of Scoglitti Municipality of Vittoria Province of Ragusa Sicily Region
Population: 63.906 (1.812 i nthe village) Altitude centre: 168 m s.l.m.
the Municipality is part of: Città del vino Strada del Vino Cerasuolo di Vittoria
Protected natural areas: Aleppo Pine Tree Natural Reserve
Municipality Via S. Incardona - Tel. +39 0932 514111