Montefalco preserves a rich artistic heritage that makes it an essential reference point for the knowledge of Umbrian painting, starting with the museum complex of San Francesco which represents a synthesis of history.
Enveloped by the splendid medieval walls, there are many churches within the first wall, including the one dedicated to Saint Augustine. Once in the beautiful circular square, you will find the Palazzo Comunale, the former church of San Filippo Neri, now the theater, the small church of Santa Maria de Platea (among the oldest buildings) and significant examples of noble residences from the 16th century.
The Romanesque church of San Bartolomeo and the church and convent of Santa Chiara with paintings of the Umbrian school of the fourteenth century are also worth a visit.Within the convent of Santa Chiara there is the oldest Sagrantino vine of Montefalco and Umbria, 150 years old.
Montefalco, due to its position, is particularly suitable for a series of trips and excursions.
Without going too far from the village, Sistema Museo and the Civic Museum organize pedestrian itineraries with very interesting themed guided tours, through which it will be possible to explore places, crafts and flavors of the city past.
For art lovers, the Montefalco and La Meraviglia del Rinascimento itinerary, dedicated to Benozzo Gozzoli is the ideal.
In summer there is the appointment with "La Fuga del Bove", Montefalco's annual tradition in which the Piazza is transformed into an open-air theater with the show of the Four Quarters.
What to taste in Montefalco?
An essential cuisine that avoids sophistication, genuine, simple, very balanced and of great style, strongly linked to the traditions and recurrences of the past: the culinary tradition of Montefalco is linked to the typical Umbrian gastronomy, which uses the genuine products of the countryside and the tasty meat from local farms.
Montefalco owes its name to Frederick II of Swabia. The Emperor, visiting the places in the XIII century, noting the large number of the hawks in the area, decided to change the name of the locality from Coccorone (Coronae Cors) than the current one. The presence of the animal in the territory has been waning, until you reach the historic low in the modern age. On 31 July 2007 was released in the skies of Montefalco a pair of kestrels, with the purpose of restocking the project has had a great success and the kestrels you are reproduced.
Around 1280 the city was conquered from Todi, as witnessed by the city emblem representing an eagle and placed on a building to the right of Porta Sant'Agostino, during the period of employment tuderte begins the cultivation of grapes for the Grechetto that should be added to the traction more ancient of red wine, in the same period occurs even the construction of the Palazzo Pubblico (today the seat of the municipality) and of the most important religious buildings. The city became the most important fortification of the territory of Todi against Foligno and Spoleto until 1383 when its ups and downs before it passes under the Trinci of Foligno to then become as other Umbrian centers of papal dominion.
Village of Montefalco
Municipality of Montefalco
Province of Perugia
Population: 5.626 (3.386 in the village)
Altitude centre: 472 m s.l.m.
the Municipality is part of:
I Borghi più belli d'Italia
Città dei sapori
Città del bio
Città del vino
Strada del Sagrantino
Orange Flag - Italian Touring Club
Municipality of Montefalco
Piazza del Comune - Montefalco (PG)
Tel. +39 0742 378673
ON THE TRAIN