Fortunago (Fortünagh in oltrepadano dialect) is located in the Oltrepò Pavese, in Lombardy. Known since the X century, Fortunago had local lords, vassals of the Bishop of Tortona, but in 1164 it became part of the territory subject to the town of Pavia. In the fifteenth century was enfeoffed subsequently to the Dal Verme, in 1546 it was bought by the Malaspina of Oramala, already marquises of Godiasco. Combined with the Bobbiese to the Kingdom of Sardinia in 1743, on the basis of the Treaty of Worms, became part of the province of Bobbio.
All the village center was brought back to the ancient splendor with the use of local materials: stone and cooked. In the main square from an original fountain springs not only natural water source but also sparkling water (obviously made such a small concealed vision plant that provides carbon dioxide). The houses of Fortunago are perched on the steep slope of a hill, dominated by the church and the municipal palace. The streets are the characteristics of medieval villages, narrowed in the middle of stone walls. The stone houses decorated with balconies, sills and loggia contribute to the quiet atmosphere of the place and the impression of being in another time. The highest part of the country is formed by a plateau at about 600 meters above sea level, offering a wonderful view over the Oltrepò and is a protected area, a park full of forests of oak, oak, maple, white poplar, ornamental, chestnut , cherry, sorgo, hornbeam, birch, hawthorn and other essences that make up the highland hilltop forest. The floral natural vegetation is also rich in protected species: anemones, orchids, bellies, leucos, buccanees, lily of the valley, cyclamen, holly, many qualities of officinal herbs and fruits of the undergrowth: strawberries, raspberries, mushrooms and truffles. As far as wildlife is concerned, the territory of the reserve has been defined as a "sacred hill" for the nesting of various species of birds of prey and protected bird life, such as tusk, zigolo, capinera, nightingale, white ballerina and cox. Numerous the presence of deer and goats.
Completely restored in ancient forms, the fortunago village is an example of recovery and valorisation of historical heritage, respecting its environmental, economic and human characteristics. A well-preserved landscape and an integrative nature extending over this hilly hill of Oltrepò characterized by the work of its people who, with activities rich in creative, agritouristic, wine-growing, agro-food, value-conscious, traditions express a way of being and living in harmony with the territory and the environment.
Fortunago was also the location of the film The Human Capital of Paolo Virzì. In July 2015 Fortunago has been beaten the singular record of preparation and baking of the heavier agnolotto in the world, of 148 kg.
Village of Fortunago
Municipality of Fortunago
Province of Pavia
Altitude center: 482 m a.s.l.
The Municipality is part of:
I Borghi più belli d'Italia
Municipality of Fortunago
Piazza Aldo Moro 1 - Fortunago (PV)