Municiapality of Frontone
Province of Pesaro e Urbino
Altitude centre: 412 m s.l.m.
the Municipality is part of:
Unione Montana del Catria e Nerone
Municipality of Frontone
Piazza del Municipio 19 - Frontone (PU)
Tel. +39 0721 786107
at the foot of the massif of Monte Catria, (1701 m.s.l.m.), the territory of the pediment offers numerous attractions both architectural and natural. The landscape is surrounded by fresh valleys and green hills, ideal for walks and excursions along the easy paths or cultural tour, while the attractions can be visited, in addition to the famous Rocca, are the Hermitage of Fonte Avellana, dating back to the year One Thousand and known for having hosted personalities such as San Pier Damiani and Dante, which recalls Fonte Avellana in XXI canto of Paradise. The Castle of Frontone was fortification of border surveillance of the territory that the romans crossed to reach the Adriatic. Represents the last stronghold of the duchy of Montefeltro.
The territory was inhabited by the Umbrians, Galli and was occupied by the Romans in 295 BC circa. The history of the village is linked to his castle, disputed by principles and from warriors for the domain of the surrounding districts and that today represents one of the clearest examples of military architecture of the XI century. For long periods had to submit to the jurisdiction of Cagli and then to that of Gubbio. From 1291 to 1420 the lords of the pediment were the Gabrielli of Gubbio. Ousted The Lordship by count Guidantonio of Urbino, Frontone fits for over a century in the history of the illustrious family of Montefeltro and of Della Rovere that succeeded in possession of the Duchy of Urbino.
In 1445 Sigismondo Malatesta of Rimini in the war against the Duke Federico da Montefeltro, tried to take away from him the castle, but the personal intervention of Duke Federico mise fleeing the Malatesta. It was probably due to this fact of weapons that the Duke decided to undertake the important work of strengthening of the defensive system drawing on the work of Francesco di Giorgio Martini, famous architect and connoisseur of military science.
The pediment it became a county in 1530 and the Duke of Urbino donated it to the noble modenese Giammaria of the door. In 1808 the door were deprived of all rights, faculty and jurisdictions enjoyed, except that of the noble title and private properties. After years of abandonment, in 1965 the castle was bought by Dandolo vital that the rivendette a few years after the Count Ferdinand of the door. In 1985 the municipality of Frontone decided to buy it and in fact, today the castle is owned by the commune.
The main dish of Frontone are the tagliatelle, both with white ragout of porcini mushrooms, that with the meat sauce with duck sauce, and the crescia, not to be confused with the piadina.
NOTE: distances are set as the crow flies.