Village of Sacco
Municipality of Rovereto
Province of Trento
Trentino Alto Adige Region
Population: 39.482 (5.000 in the village)
Altitude centre: 204 m s.l.m.
the Municipality is part of:
Città del vino
Comunità Montana della Vallagarina
Italian Smart Cities
Protected natural areas:
Biotopo Lavini di Marco
Municipality of Rovereto
Piazza del Podestà 11 - Rovereto (TN)
Tel. +39 0464 452111
Borgo Sacco was for centuries the connecting point between the goods that came from North Europe toward the south, while at local level was the seat of the ferry that joined the two banks of the Adige. The particular geographical position allowed the construction of a safe harbor and the consequent specialization of the population in the construction of boats and rafts.
Up to 927 bag and the entire Vallagarina were under the influence of the Bishop of Verona to then pass under the domain of the Prince Bishop of Trento that granted in 1210 to the lumbering of the village the monopoly of navigation on the river Adige. In 1224 lot came under the influence first of the family of Lizzana then of Castelbarco, maintaining equally its own autonomy, both commercial and economic, from the nearby town of Rovereto. When in 1509 across the Vallagarina subentrarono the Habsburgs Bag became one of the main commercial hubs during the Austrian domination which was granted directly by Ferdinand II the privilege of construction and conduction of the Zattere along the route linking Bolzano to Verona. This concession did not only increase the enormous economic power and shopping bag.
If in 1684 Leopold V Archduke of Austria reiterates the privileges granted previously to freight forwarders in sackcloth, in 1806 were suddenly erased all rights until then accrued. In the meantime the corrigendum of the Adige and the important construction of rail led to the decline of transport on the raft and then to a general economic decadence of the village that was consequently absorbed in Rovereto Municipality in 1920.
An important attempt on the part of the village of bouncing back from the decay is marked by the construction of the Manifattura Tabacchi for the production of cigars and cigarettes that began in 1854. Great role had the zigherane, the sigaraie, women who did the cigarettes, who fought to establish the first company nursery of Trentino in 1924 and you autotassarono to build a bridge over the stream Leno in order to make it less long and tortuous journey from home to work. After 150 years of activity of decisive importance for the economic development of Borgo Sacco, the nineteenth-century factory has become today the project manufactory, a center for industrial innovation with focus on building environmentally sustainable and on the field of green and cleantech technologies.
NOTE: distances are set as the crow flies.