Village of Avigliana
Municipality of Avigliana
Metropolitan City of Turin
Population: 12.499 (10.411 in the village)
Altitude centre: 383 m s.l.m.
the Municipality is part of:
Borghi Sostenibili del Piemonte
Città del bio
Unione Montana Valle Susa
Protected natural areas:
Avigliana Lakes Natural Park
Municipality of Avigliana
Piazza Conte Rosso 7 - Avigliana (TO)
Tel. +39 011 9769111
located in a natural basin bounded by wooded morainic hills, Il borgo di Avigliana is also known for the two lakes, the fulcrum of the protected area of the Park of the Lakes of Avigliana, which is part of the Management Entity of the protected areas of the Cottian Alps. With its 400 hectares, the park is characterized by an ecosystem very varied: the hills, the wetland of the Mareschi, the two lakes. The wooded morainic hill toward Val Sangone leads to the imposing Sacra di San Michele, while toward Turin Mount wedge shows a breathtaking view to the mountains of the Moncenisio and Rocciamelone.
As always, as today, crossroads and links between Turin, France and Pinerolese, Avigliana preserves its historic charm with the medieval buildings of Piazza Conte Rosso dominated by the ruins of the castle Arduinico of the XI century and was the seat of a royal court and as such was used by the Savoy family at least since 1137. In the XII century the Barbarossa destroyed the castle and burned the city and yet destruction brought his son, Enrico VI at the end of the same century. Tommaso di Savoia rebuilt it in 1189 and since then the aviglianese fortress for a long time it was the seat of important castellania sabauda. After various vicissitudes in 1691 the French Marshal Catinat, after having conquered it, made him demolish definitively by reducing it in the state of ruin in which it still is.
The porticos, double lancet windows, ancient mansions in terracotta, the walls, frescoes make up a rich architectural complex that unfolds along the streets of the Old Town: Casa Senore, also remembered as the Bishop's House, casa di porta Ferrata, Casa del Beato Umberto. The sacred art sees a rich presence of frescoes of the Church of San Pietro (11th - 16th century) on the road of the lakes, and significant altarpieces at San Giovanni (XIII century). Next to an important picture gallery six-eighteenth-century, inside it preserves frescoes and a remarkable collection of tables of the early sixteenth century, in particular of Defendente Ferrari and Gerolamo Giovenone, and a wooden pulpit beautifully carved.
Avigliana is also a center of production and industrial that saw the beginnings of the industrialization of Valle di Susa. In the course of the year theatrical reviews of high level and important musical events as the two lakes Jazz Festival, of international fame, integrate with concerts and events organized by the many local associations.
The products and the flavors of the territory aviglianese are recreated in a consolidated tradition of confectionery of some historical patisseries. Many restaurants in the city offer menus and dishes of the culinary tradition valsusina with products of the territory.
NOTE: distances are set as the crow flies.