Village of Gualdo Tadino
Municipality of Gualdo Tadino
Province of Perugia
Population: 15.073 (10.910 in the village)
Altitude centre: 536 m s.l.m.
the Municipality is part of:
Città della ceramica
Municipality of Gualdo Tadino
Piazza Martiri della Libertà 4 - Gualdo Tadino (PG)
Tel. +39 075 915021
known with the name of Tarsina, Gualdo Tadino was subjected by the Romans, changing the designation in Tadinum. Its territory was the theater of the famous Battle of Tagina (552 d.C.), during which the Byzantine general Narsete defeated the army of the Goths, guided by King Badwila said Totila that, mortally wounded on the battlefield, died a few hours later at Capras (today's Caprara) in the territory of Tadinum. The gothic conflict-byzantine marked the end of the Goths in Italy. A few years later, with the arrival of the Longobards, the tadinate territory became part of the Duchy of Spoleto and probably was the seat of the sculdascio, that administered justice and levied taxs to the dependencies of gastaldo which had its headquarters in Nocera.
Little population still remained in the old city in ruins, most withdrew on the surrounding hills. Definitively destroyed by Ottone III, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire in 996, the city changed its name by taking the longobardo Gualdo (wooded place) and the inhabitants took refuge in Val di Gorgo on the slopes of the Serrasanta. Still destroyed by a violent fire because his dwellings were almost all in wood, was rebuilt in 1237 around the Abbey of S. Blessed with the beautiful white stone of its mountain, on the current Colle Sant'Angelo (the patron saint of the Lombards), dominated by the Rocca Flea, by fostering free municipal institutions under the protection of Frederick II, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, present at the ceremony of the Foundation, and following its Ghibelline policy. Contention between Gubbio and Perugia, subsequently submitted to unwillingly to Perugia before being delivered to the state of the Church by Iacopo P. Canino (1458).
The city was seriously damaged by a strong shock from land-based sources on 27 July 1751. The earthquake erased most of its characteristics of the late-medieval, while remaining in the foot some beautiful palaces and beautiful romanesque and gothic churches such as Santa Maria di Tadino (now called Santa Chiara), San Benedetto (13th century), San Francesco (14th century). The ancient city is always been looted of its marbles, columns, mosaics, brought especially in Perugia. The Rocca Flea currently preserves a beautiful museum rich in paintings and furnishings, including a famous polyptych of the XV century by Nicolò said the Pupil and some tables of Matteo da Gualdo, late local painter of the end of the Fifteenth Century. In 1833 Pope Gregory XVI gave to the village the title of city with the name of Gualdo (Waldum) Tadino (Tadinum) and in 1860 it was annexd to the Reign of Italy. Gualdo Tadino was severely damaged by the earthquake of 26 September 1997.
The territory of Gualdo has riches natural environmental especially in the band of Montana with the picturesque towns of Valsorda, San Guido and Rocchetta, pine forests and the extraordinary flourishing. Certainly deserve a visit to the Rocca Flea, the Museum of Ceramics housed therein and the Basilica of San Benedetto.
Gualdo Tadino is known for the production of ceramics. This ancient art marks the identity economic and artistic development of the town. To ceramics was linked to the manifestation of the International Ceramic Competition which saw every year the presence of artists from more than 20 countries around the world and has allowed to acquire in time a heritage of over 100 works, representing a cutout remarkable of modern artistic research in the field.
NOTE: distances are set as the crow flies.