Village of Pieve di Ledro
Municipality of Ledro
Province of Trento
Trentino Alto Adige Region
Population: 5.323 (623 in the village)
Altitude centre: 660 m s.l.m.
Unesco Site: Prehistoric Pile Dwellings around the alpine arc
the Municipality is part of:
Unesco World Heritage Sites
Comunità Montana Alto Garda e Ledro
Protected Natural Areas:
Biotope Lake Ampola
Municipality of Ledro
Via Vittoria 5 - Ledro (TN)
Tel. +39 0464 592711
Pieve di Ledro (Piév de Léder or Piéf in local dialect) faces along the western shore of the lake and since antiquity was the religious heart of the whole valley as testified by the Church of the Annunciation with its belfry of onion.
The Lago di Ledro is located in a valley suspended that joins the Valle del Chiese valley with the Lake of Garda. When the lake is found under the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the territory of the valley in May 1915 underwent the evacuation of the population which was transferred in some camps located in Bohemia/Moravia (Czech Republic) and Austria. The valley became war zone with south the italian lines dilated until the slopes of the chain of mountains in the north (Monte Vies, Cocca, Coast of Salò, San Giovanni) and comprising all the inhabited centers; directly in contact with the Italian one, to the north, the Austrian line perched on the ridges in cliff of Monte Cadria, Tomeabrù, Parì, Cima d'Oro, Valdes, Rocchetta, Cima Capi; behind this, in the hamlet of fields (Riva del Garda), the strong Tombio for further strengthening of trinceramenti at high altitudes, between 1600 and 2000 meters.
You can still visit most of the line Austro-Hungarian and the connection trenches since dug in the rock at considerable depth, vertical and horizontal, all along the northern slope, from west to east, starting from the fort of Lardaro up to Riva del Garda. The first italian lines assault, precisely because of their position close to the first Austrian, have almost disappeared except some dug in the rock and can be visited to Tiarno di Sopra and below, Bezzecca, near Cima d'Oro and San Giovanni. The third italian line, to the south, extended from Monte Nodic in Pergasina fraction of Riva del Garda running along the top Fortini, monte Carone, Passo Nota, Tremalzo and descended up to Storo; this is still today well visible and workable with mountain-bike and off road (Only authorized); also visible are some Italian fortification in concrete in the plain of Pur and at the entrance of the valle di Concei. During the almost 4 years of conflict in the Valley do not had clashes between large units owing to the small space and the morphology of the mountain lines particularly suited to the defense. At the beginning of the war the italian departments progressed until contact with the Austrian line carefully prepared in the crest from a couple of years and provided of minefields and barbed wire; heavy fighting took place at San Giovanni and the spur, near Cima d'Oro at an altitude of 1336 m and to the coast of Salò; in Valle di Concei were frequent clashes between patrols of explorers and incursori of both armies as well as considerable the bombing of the Italian artillery against the fortifications of high altitude.
At the end of 1918, with the collapse of the front Austro-hungarian, each position was abandoned and subsequently the numerous local recuperanti of valuable materials (iron, copper, gunpowder, ammunition divelsero) all armoured by the domes, from the ports and the lights. Unfortunately the Austrian artillery, by the forts of Riva and fields, to disturbance of italian line, caused the destruction and the fire of all the small towns of Valle di Ledro whose reconstruction was the work by the local population repatriated in 1919 and supported by the military engineers Italian with construction materials, means of transport and logistical support which camp kitchens, provisioning, accommodation and ended in 1924.
At a side of the lake were found the finds of a civilization palafitticola of the Bronze Age, which make the lake an archaeological site and its museum of global significance. On the shore of the lake was rebuilt a village on stilts similar to that existing in the antiquity.
The Lake Ampola because of its particular natural environment is a protected lake. The visitor can find an environment rich in particular vegetal and animal species; a catwalk allows you to go through the wet meadow, approach the Canneto and then the lake. During the summer months is open the Visitors Center of the lake Ampola which organizes guided visits and workshops for children. The lake and the area surrounding wet constitute a peculiar ecosystem that hosts a flora and a fauna specific.
The Valle di Ledro is rich in traditions and local holidays. Among the most important are the Fair of San Michele, in September. The annual summer race of cars in the wood during the festival of Locca. The race of the boats of cardboard on the lake. The dip of the Blackbird in January. The triathlon played in all its categories around the lake.
NOTE: distances are set as the crow flies.