Village of Corchiano
Municipality of Corchiano
Province of Viterbo
Altitude centre: 196 m s.l.m.
the Municipality is part of:
Città della nocciola
Protected Natural Areas:
Pian Sant'Angelo Natural Monument
Municipality of Corchiano
Piazza del Bersagliere 1 - Corchiano (VT)
Tel. +39 0761 572002
Corchiano was probably the ancient Fescennium, one of the most important cities of civilization Falisca that considerable affinity has had with the Etruscan culture. From the Name Fescennium stemmed in Rome the famous Ludi fescennini, species of mimes and songs of content often licentious that local populations improvvisavano during the festivities in honor of the pagan divinities.
The numerous necropolis discovered in the territory of Corchiano testify to a considerable human presence from the VIII to the III century B.C. and are in the locality of Caprigliano, Walloon, Sant'Antonio, Selva Fratta, strut of the bridge and the list. Just outside the town in Locality Madonna del Soccorso are visible several tombs of rock type (IV - III century a.C.).
Of great interest and fascination is the cut called the quarry of S. Egidio: a deep road excavated in the tufo high more than 10 m. which preserves the walls two Etruscan inscriptions whose only readable reports perhaps the name of the manufacturer of the road: "Larth Vel Arnies". Tunnels and sepulchral environments are arranged along the path.
The Fate Of Fescennium was naturally linked to that of the nearby Falerii Veteres but resented also of remarkable influences and stimuli coming from Etruria that led inter alia to military alliances with Tarquinia to counteract the hegemonic attempt of Rome. The final act was the victory of the Romans in 241 BC, which led to the confiscation of the entire territory falisco, Fescennium included, with the transfer of the inhabitants in the new site of Falerii Novi.
Until the middle ages the area of Agro Falisco lived a period of tranquillity, but when the barbarians went down toward Rome plundering and devastating, Falerii, despite its 50 towers and the mighty perimeter walls, was too vulnerable to which the inhabitants abandoned the city and took refuge on the previous cliffs.
The old Fescennium was then riabitata around 1000, were constructed numerous castles and country took the name of Hortiano, under the guidance of the Captain Ranieri di Farolfo. Other families took turns in the guide of the country including the Di Vico, the Orsini who remained there until 1472. In 1534 it became part of the duchy of Castro for determination of Paolo III Farnese, who gave this duchy to his son Pier Luigi Farnese. This was the period more prosperous for the architecture corchianese.
As in all their feud the Farnese built a new fortress which went dying in the centuries following the destruction of Castro in 1649, and definitively demolished in 1979, of which remain few stumps. Subsequently Corchiano passed to the Church and to other lords, was occupied by the French troops in 1798 to return under the Apostolic Chamber until the Unity of Italy, in 1870.
NOTE: distances are set as the crow flies.