Village of Bompietro
Municipality of Bompietro
Metropolitan City of Palermo
Altitude centre: 685 m s.l.m.
the Municipality is part of:
Unione Petralie e dell'Imera Salso
Municipality of Bompietro
Via Rimembranze - Bompietro (PA)
Tel. +39 0921 561445
At the conclusion of the war of the Sicilian Vespers (31 March 1282-1302) Sicily was subjected to the Spaniards which, perpetuating the feudal system, divided in various Ducati. The Spanish family of Ferrandina in 1400 was donated, with many other fiefs, the territory of the village of Bompietro (Bompietru in Sicilian) . The Ferrandina cedevano lands for farmers because the bonificassero and for them they built a small church which gave a dowry in the feud of "Morosa Woman".
The peasants, at those times, lived in caves dug into the ground Arenarius [Sand-reckoner] (there are still some in Contrada Salerna). Toward the 1500 farmers began to manufacture the first houses on the land who worked and which had become Owners. Thus arose the surroundings of which composes the Municipality. Each fraction port, usually, the name of the first family who put seat stable. Piraino, probably, bears the name of a wild pear widespread in those surroundings. The borgata oldest Guarraia is.
"Bompietro" is the name of the central district built around the church and that long was called "Borgata Church". The first main road was via the Mother Church. It is doubtful whether the name "Bompietro" is derived from a certain Peter, man particularly good that dwelt at Guarraia, or from the framework of SS. Peter and Paul that was on the altar of the Church and that you "says" has been donated by Sopranesi.
The single fraction is leased, seat, a time of a prison. The origin of leased, at the time the territory of the County of Collesano, is somewhat unclear. The first news historiographical date back to the end of the War of Vespers when Sicily was subjected to the Spaniards, in particular to the family of Ferrandina, that made of Collesano an autonomous county whose territory is expanded by the river Roccella up to the southern Himera and today Locati marked the border point with the territory of Petralia Sovereign and the Alimena.
Historical News reported that Caterina Moncada wife of Giuseppe Federico Alvarez Toledo duke of Ferrandina and marquis of Villafranca, daughter of Ferdinand Aragon Moncada y Moncada and nephew of Louis Guglielmo Moncada who was President of the kingdom from 1635 to 1637, the Viceroy of Sardinia in 1647, the Viceroy of Valencia in 1657; Commendatore Belvis Sierra, three times as great of Spain, general of cavalry of the Kingdom of Naples and butler greater of King Carlo, after the death of Father Ferdinando, occurred in 1713, was incognito to leased to verify the efficiency of customs gendarmerie and saw that the territory around everything was acquitrinoso and not cultivable it gave to the poor some parts. That land incoltivabile, devoid of trees and houses was reclaimed by making land improvements and then urbanized. The memory of his action in favor of the local populations is still mentioned in the title of a track in his honor: Via Ferrandina, never changed since then.
Thanks to its position of frontier, Locati was place of customs office where the goods were controlled and was paid the duty required to pass on its territory through the regia trazzera Catina-Thermae, from Enna at Termini Imerese, that descends from the southern Imera exploiting the Walloons Gangitano and step in the morning, reaching Alimena passing to the north of the Castle of Resuttano. The trazzera directed to Catania "Passo della mattina" and "Sagnefere", was used as a great way of communication between the countries of the foothills of the Madonie. The trazzera is currently called via rampant.
Particular importance for the birth and development of Locati was the construction of a prison, of which there is still the same track, both because its surroundings were built the first rural settlements, as residences for the workers and the garrisons that for the rise of inns that offer hospitality and refreshment at the wayfarers and animals that you lied before resuming their journey.
This stop was of fundamental importance and was necessary not only because the presence of the garrison was the safe place to preserve the goods but also to avoid crossing during the night hours, a place called "maluppassu" Mal step wherein the brigands of the epoch tended real ambushes passers-robbing of goods that transported.
Thus began to rise to a true rural aggregate, the first settlements are born in the southern part of the country and the most ancient is the Wide Bisicchia large just 1 meter long and a little less than 5. Just allocate is still considered as the most reliable deriving the designation Locati which at that time was customarily call "AND Lucati", i.e. "The Allocated" and today Locati.
Industrious agricultural center, in addition to the cereals and corn, the village of Bompietro distinguishes itself for the production of products such as olive oil, vegetables, fruit, almonds and wine grapes. Very popular is also the breeding of livestock.
NOTE: distances are set as the crow flies.