Village of Corciano
Municipality of Corciano
Province of Perugia
Center Altitude: 408 m s.l.m.
The Municipality is part of:
The most beautiful villages of Italy
City of bread
City of wine
Mountain Community Trasimeno Medio Tevere
Wine Road Colli del Trasimeno
Muncipality of Corciano
Corso Cardinale Rotelli 21 - Corciano (PG)
phone +39 075-51881
According to an ancient legend, the village of Corciano, in Umbria, was founded by Coragino, mythical Ulysses companion. The earliest traces of the presence of man date back to the Neolithic and later between the IX and VIII centuries BC. Between the 3rd and the 1st centuries a.C. a large number of inhabited settlements (typically small ones) were formed mainly in agriculture and crafts. The area, noted archaeologically for the famous nineteenth century find of the tomb of bronze wagons dating to the second half of the 6th century BC four centuries later, a strong development process, probably due to the growing demand for travertine used for producing urns, funerary cipps, and especially for the construction of the urban city of Perugia. But it's only after one year that some documentary documents document their existence. Between 1415 and 1416 the Captain of Ventura Arm of Montone, expelled from Bologna, with his troops headed to Umbria sowing destruction and death. He attempts to conquer Corciano, but the town defends it valiantly and fights the armed troops. The Perugine Magistrates, as compensation for the heroic defense, exorced Corciano for every tax for five years. But Arm does not stop: after winning 120 castles in the Perugia territory, he returns to Corciano who, unable to withstand a new siege, spontaneously opens the doors. In the 14th century Corciano passed, like almost all of Umbria, into the orbit of the State of the Church and became a feud of the Dukes of Corgna who had their residence in the present Municipal Palace. In 1809 the Napoleonic army established in Perugia the imperial government and Corciano was erected at Mairie.
They are definitely worth a visit to the famous Palacio di Corciano del Perugino, housed in the Church of Santa Maria; the Palazzo Corgna, the town hall; the church and convent of Sant'Agostino, one of the most important Augustinian monuments existing in Umbria, and the Castle of Pieve del Vescovo, not far from the village. In Corciano, the Rigo residential complex was built, designed by Renzo Piano and inspired by Rubik's cubes. It is a complex building with various types of assemblage of prefabricated concrete housing cells resulting from a study developed at the Friuli earthquake and subsequently made between 1979 and 1982. Although the first project by Renzo Piano, which provided for the possibility of self-built evolutionary building, was partially modified by virtue of state subsidies from the construction of houses already at the most complex stage with the user who could only vary the interior of the housing module, the Rigo remains an example of architectural avant-garde for technical assembly and structure.
Among the most traditional, widespread and active economic activities there are handicrafts, such as the renowned woodworking, aimed at the production of furniture, numerous tools and toys. The village of Corciano is also renowned for its local bread.
NOTE: distances are set as the crow flies.