Village of Santa Severa
Municipality of Santa Marinella
Municipality of Rome
Altitude center: 7 m a.s.l.
Protected Natural Areas:
Natural Reserve of Macchiatonda
The village of Santa Severa is situated along the via Aurelia, at the southern end of the maremma laziale and at the foot of the Monti della Tolfa. It takes its name from Santa Severa, here martired in the II century.
At the same site as the Castle of Santa Severa, at the southern boundary of the fraction, stood already in the Bronze Age a coastal village, witnessed by some ceramic discoveries. Subsequently in the area was developed the important Etruscan settlement of Pyrgi, which was the main port of Caere (today's Cerveteri) and one of the most important seaports of the whole of Etruria. Frequented by merchants the Greeks and Phoenicians, Pyrgi was the seat of a famous Shrine sacred to the goddess Uni (assimilated to the Phoenician Astarte). On the site of the ancient Etruscan port was implanted in 264 B.C. a Roman colony, fortified by imposing walls "cyclopean" still partly preserved. In the course of the Middle Ages developed on the ruins of the Roman town is a small medieval village flanked by a castle of the XI century overlooking the sea. In 1068 the Norman knight Gerardo di Galeria gave the church and the Castle of Santa Severa to Farfa Abbey who then ceded it to the Brothers of Saint Paul. The noble families of Tiniosi and Bonaventure the contended for decades until in 1482 Pope Sixtus IV not donated it to the Pio Istituto Holy Spirit.
The seaside resort of Santa Severa was developed in the 1930s as a summer residence of many fascist hierarchy.
In the village at the castle is the seat of the Museum of the sea and the ancient Navigation, dedicated to illustration of maritime trade during the ancient age. Of great interest also the Church of Santa Maria Assunta, which presents a Romanesque interior with a canvas of altar depicting the recruitment between Santa Severa and Santa Marinella.
NOTE: distances are set as the crow flies.