Village of Sirolo
Municipality of Sirolo
Province of Ancona
Altitude center: 125 m a.s.l.
The Municipality is part of:
4 Vele Legambiente
Protected Natural Areas:
The Regional Park of Conero
almost the whole of the territory of the village of Sirolo, in the Marche region is part of the Regional Park of Conero, one of the most important sites of Italy for birdwatching and rich of flora, typical of the Mediterranean stain (arbutus, ilex, the Aleppo pine, broom, rate, etc.) and fauna (roe deer, boar, Apennine Wolf, foxes, squirrels, beech-martens, weasels, hares, pheasants, partridges, Jays). Place the nests of the peregrine, Lonely Sparrow and the valve of the strawberry tree, only as regards the Adriatic coast of the peninsula. The name derives from the condottiere Sirio, following general Belisario, to which around the year 540 Justinian I gave the territory of Sirolo, after the defeat of the Goths who had invaded the Piceno.
Sirolo records one of the most remote human presences of the Marche. Since Prehistory mysterious dwellers left their signs of their presence dating back to 100 thousand years ago. In the neolithic age other community occupied Sirolo and the Conero and still falling down in time, other presences in the bronze age, and other settlements, those piceni, figured highly in this land, seminandola villages and then of Necropolis, still today not all dissepolte. In Sirolo there is an archaeological journey in the largest Piceno necropolis of Marche (VI century a.C.) - the only visitable in the region - in which were found extraordinary and numerous artifacts that compose the funerary associations of an extraordinary burial what is the so-called "Tomba della Regina". The nearly two thousand discoveries of the abovementioned tomb confirm the existence of a community that had reached a high conception of the role of women within the ancient society italica. Chiara is also the Hellenic impression in places. The Greeks who, starting from the IV century B.C., sailed the coasts of southern Italy, in these places they found a land rich and fertile ground in which to build the city. Here impacted their dwelling and called the Conero Komaros, renamed by the Romans Cumerium - strawberry tree - because in october the Monte Conero is colored by strawberry trees, small, round and colored fruits have become the symbol of the cordiality and welcome to the host. Even the Romans came and settled in Sirolo, I appreciated the put and the wine and they have left their witness hydraulic works like the aqueduct and artistic furnishings in the villas of the territory. During the Roman domination was part of the cives Humanae. Around the year one thousand, the need to defend themselves from the invasions of the barbarians, favored the rise of the castle of Sirolo. Sirolo, inespugnata, resisted throughout the Middle Ages as a fortified structure, with its towers, its walls, its court and its gothic arch of 1050, the gate of the city. In 1225 the family of auditors courteous, the lords of the place, ceded the town to Ancona in exchange of the noble title. For this reason Sirolo is considered one of the castles of Ancona. Sirolo had a certain degree of autonomy from 1465 to the end of the XVII century, when it became part of the state of the Church.
The historic center is a village of origin late medieval, preserves an ancient charm linked to its origins of a fortified castle and is constituted by a maze of alleys characteristic, passable only on foot, between angles and glimpses of great impact. From piazza overview in the center of the village you can admire the most beautiful beaches of the Riviera del Conero, a large part of The Marches Coast and on the clearest days, the Kornati islands and Croatia. There are important monuments including the Badia di San Pietro on the Conero (XI century), the small church of Romanesque architecture, which looks on to a small square and a Baroque portal, the parish church of San Nicola of 1765, built on the remains of a previous church dating back to 1230, the church of the SS. Rosario of the XVIII century a few steps away from the medieval gate, the little church dedicated to the Madonna (year 1536) in the locality of the "Madonnina" and the Teatro Comunale Cortesi, Tiny jewel of architecture of the end of the '800.
NOTE: distances are set as the crow flies.