Village of Alberona
The Municipality of Alberona
Province of Foggia
Altitude center: 732 m a.s.l.
The Municipality is part of:
I Borghi più belli d'Italia
Paesi bandiera arancione
Municipality of Alberona
Via G. Strizzi 5 - Alberona (FG)
Tel. +39 0881 592022
Alberona rises in the Subappennino Dauno on the slopes of monte Stylus, which dominates the Tavoliere delle Puglie. From the "Muraglione", are in fact enjoys a wide panoramic view up to the promontory of Gargano and the Tremiti Islands. Climatic and landscaped resources take place around a historic center marked by the presence of the Templars in history.
When Federico II conquered the Puglia in 1220 allying themselves with the Saracens created in Lucera a stronghold of Muslims and granted to these extensive rights of legnatico in the woods of the territory of Alberona. During the Angevin domination, in 1297, Charles II of Naples with a letter he commanded the captain of Lucera to recognize the possession of the Knights Templar on Alberona. In 1312, with the suppression of the order of the Knights Templar, the fief of Alberona was entrusted to the knightly order of the Knights Hospitallers, headquartered in Barletta, who would have controlled until the abolition of feudal rights (1806). Alberona is found then involved in all the bloody battles that took place in the Kingdom of Naples until 1418. In 1808 ended the long and beneficent presence of the Knights of Malta to Alberona. With the end of the reign murattiano in Naples in this territory spread brigandage. Starting from the end of the XIX century and throughout the twentieth century Alberona has been affected by an intense migratory phenomenon, both toward the Americas as toward the North of Italy and the municipalities of Tavoliere.
The village is mainly constituted by characteristic houses in stones, white stone or in masonry. The main monument of the village is the Torre del Priore, belonged first to the Knights Templar and became in the XIV century residence of the Grand Prior of the Order of the Knights of Malta in Barletta, when moved in his fief of Alberona. In 2002 it was donated to Italia Nostra which have made it their headquarters. Other monuments include the church of San Rocco (XVI century), the Mother Church of the foundation more ancient, the Municipal Antiquarium, the Calabrian Arc (the single wooden arc zone) and that of a thousand (where you can enjoy a wonderful panorama), the characteristic streets and alleys of the historical center.
In the municipal territory it is possible to make excursions along the paths that cut the wood of the Subappennino and reach the Canale dei Tigli, the wind park in the direction of Volturino, Crocione, Monte Crow, in direction of Roseto Valfortore. Alberona is also the village of water. It has numerous fountains that consistently provide spring water; among the most notable the Fountain Muta, whose waters glide quiet and discreet in imposing troughs in stone, Pisciarelli, Tumareddhè, Pilozza and La Fontanella.
Some typical dishes are: water room, cavatelli pasta with wild boar, coteca with beans, wild boar, torcinelli, sausage, soppressata, pettole, cartellate. Mushrooms, truffles, asparagus, olives, oregano are ingredients very used, the territory is rich.
NOTE: distances are set as the crow flies.