Village of Troia
The Municipality of Troia
Province of Foggia
Altitude center: 439 m a.s.l.
The Municipality is part of:
Paesi Bandiera Arancione
Municipality of Troia
Via Regina Margherita 70 - Troia (FG)
Tel. +39 0881 978411
The village of Troia has ancient origins. According to the legend, was founded in the XII-XI century B.C. at the time of the Greek hero Diomedes who, together with Ulysses, conquered the city of Troy in Asia Minor. Some findings daterebbero the center to front age to the punic wars.
Before being colonized by the Romans, the town was known as Aika, subsequently Latinized into Aecae, which had a strong socio-economic development with Herdonia (the current Ordona), Ausculum (Ascoli Satriano), Arpi (Foggia), Teanum Apulum (San Paolo di Civitate). The present village was born in 1019. Troia, indeed he was officially founded to become a stronghold of the Byzantine Empire.
Then, in the first years of the year 1000, the Southern Italy was disputed between the Longobards and Byzantines, with Sicily to wear the clothes of the arab emirate. Puglia and Calabria, constantly on the brink of the revolt, head were formally to Byzantium. In this particular situation, with the Lombards little distant, established in the territories beneventani, north of Puglia was in fact the demarcation line between east and west.
The date of the foundation of the 1019 is inter alia be deduced from an incision in Latin on the bronze door said of freedom, placed on the right side of the Cathedral, forged in 1127, 108 years after the foundation of Troy.
The town was subject to numerous sieges, such as that of Henry II or that of the Emperor Frederick II of Swabia. In 1093, Urban II, the Pope of the crusades, held the first council of Troy, followed by the other three, respectively in 1115 (Pope Paschal II), in 1120 (Pope Callistus II) and in 1127 (Pope Honorius II).
The city is lined first with the Angevins, then with the Aragonese and more recently with the Bourbons, to which he remained faithful until the collapse of their monarchy. The name of Troy is inextricably linked to the history, as in the original coat of arms of the city was shown a sow, intent to breastfeed seven piglets. Subsequently Charles V the replaced in 1536 about with an amphora d'oro surmounted by a crown, from which guizzano five snakes, eternal remembrance of the cunning of its inhabitants.
The main points of interest in the village of Troia are constituted by its Cathedral, the Diocesan Museum and its Exultet hymn, the Palazzo di Città, or Avalos Palace (with the ghost of the marquis) and the Church of San Basilio Magno.
The territory surrounding the village also offers pleasant itineraries for excursions and walks, sometimes rich of history as the Via Francigena. Along the old Appia Traiana, in fact, over the centuries have passed armies, wayfarers and pilgrims to go from Rome to Brindisi. It came in the Daunia, after the station of Aequotutico, called Contrada Sant'Eleuterio and the first city that met him was Aecae. Here there was the deviation or for Lucera, Arpi and Siponto (to arrive at Monte Sant'Angelo), or to continue to Ordona and Canosa. At the end of the VI century the Daunia and the Sanctuary of San Michele in Monte Sant'Angelo began to be in the interest of the Lombards. Began the great pilgrimages that crossed our city and the first notation with the appellative of Francigena is found as an epithet that Gualtiero Francigena, Bishop of Troy, who in 1083 started the construction of the Church of Santa Maria that later became the cathedral. Troia-Aecae crossed along the Appia Traiana, then via Francigena, pilgrims and travelers on these routes: the Itinerarium Burdigalense (Bordeaux) in the year 334 pilgrims to go to Jerusalem; the itinerary of the holy places of Bernardo the assay in the year 870 to visit the sanctuary of San Michele in Monte Sant'Angelo; the itinerary of the pilgrimage of the holy places of Nikulas of Munkathvera, Abbot Icelandic (1151-1154) to visit the sanctuary of San Michele in Monte Sant'Angelo, travel from Corfu to France of Philip Augustus (1191) King of France return from the third crusade; the itinerary of an English pilgrim in the Holy Land and other holy places (1344-1345); the tinerarium de Brugis (half of the XV century) to go to the Holy Land; and finally the itinerary of Anselmo and John Adorno in the Holy Land (1470-1471).
NOTE: distances are set as the crow flies.