The Isola Madre is the largest of the Borromean islands and although it is the largest it is not inhabited.Its position is different from that of the other Borromean Islands, since it is located right in the center of the Borromeo Gulf, halfway between Baveno and Pallanza, along an imaginary line that also passes through the Isolino San Giovanni.
As early as the ninth century, a church dedicated to San Vittore (to whom we owe the first name of the island), a cemetery and vast olive groves were present on the island.
Once landed on the island it is possible to admire the most beautiful marina among those of the destinations on Lake Maggiore: a beautiful staircase surrounded by flowers and lush vegetation that guides tourists towards the island's alleys, some of which are shaded by long arcades formed from wisteria.
To be seen:
- The Borromeo Palace, was opened to the public only in 1978, it preserves inside furnishings and paintings that come from the numerous possessions of the Borromeo family, all reflecting the style of the XVI and XVII century. Inside the building, in addition to more classical objects, there are also several puppets and theaters, which were used to brighten the days of the Borromeo family and even of servants from the seventeenth century.
- The noble chapel overlooks a circular fountain with many small lacustrine plants inside it like lotus flowers and water lilies and which also house some frogs. Behind is a stairway wrapped in greenery that allows you to admire this small square from a raised perspective. The chapel was built in 1858, but it is an atypical chapel, because there are no remains of people inside, there are funerary monuments.
- English gardens, for which tickets are required, are the most scenic part of the island. Of ancient origin, their construction and maintenance began in the early 1500s, as soon as the island was discovered.