The most complete online resource about Italian villages
Login

Church of San Pietro

What to see in Cembra, Trento, Trentino-South Tyrol


Share

The church dedicated to St. Peter, in its present version, was consecrated on June 29, 1525. If the current forms refer to the 16th century, its foundation dates back to the 5th-6th century, as evidenced by the chamber of the relics (cell memoriae) and ancient structures brought to light by archaeologists in 2000. On the outside it is characterized by strong buttresses and by the bell tower which is characterized not only by the use of sandstone but also by the bell cell defined by three-light windows and late Romanesque paintings, combined with a slender and Gothic-style spire; it was built between the 14th and 15th centuries. As usual, in ancient times, the cemetery was located around the church, moved outside the town at the beginning of the nineteenth century.

Inside, a single nave oriented with an apse facing east, is divided into three bays, with a ribbed sandstone ceiling according to the typical Gothic construction tradition. The construction is attributed to Michele di Gardena, who left evidence of his work throughout the valley crossed by the Avisio.

For the rich presence of frescoes, some well preserved, it is to be considered a rare artistic testimony not only for the Valley, but for the entire region. It has a fine floral decoration on the ceiling, an apse entirely frescoed with figures of saints, a wall occupied by scenes from the life of Christ - that is what is defined as "the Bible of the poor", a Universal Judgment of the eighteenth century by Valentino Rovisi and other paintings. We also find interesting polychrome wood sculptures from the 16th century, originally certainly located elsewhere.

  • Piazza S. Pietro, 31 - 38034, Cembra (Trento)
  • Religious location

Sleep, eat, buy...

e-borghi 2019-2020 All rights reserved • 3S Comunicazione - P. IVA 08058230965
Corso Buenos Aires, 92 - 20124 Milano | 02 87071950