The most complete online resource about Italian villages
Login

Cathedral of San Giusto

What to see in Susa, Torino, Piedmont


Share

on 9 July 1029, Alrico, Bishop of Asti, his brother Olderico Manfredi, Marquis of Turin and the countess Berta wife of Manfredi, signed the act of foundation of the benedictine monastery appended thereto. The building underwent in 1321 the Gothic remake of the apsidal area, while dating to the mid fifteenth century pinnacles and terracotta decorations of the bell tower. In 1581 the Benedictine monks were replaced by Augustinian Canons Regular Lateran and two centuries later, on 3 August 1772, Pope Clement XIV decreed the erection of the Diocese of Susa, referred San Giusto became Cathedral.

The building conserves numerous traces of the decorations in fresco that have succeeded one another in time: outside on the southern side, are visible an interesting romanesque frieze monochrome and the lunette with the crucifixion, dating back to about 1130; on the same facade are also present other frescoes dating back to the XV century, between which an arch decorated with representations of the prophets. In the right transept it is possible to see the fourteenth century sails with depictions of the fathers of the church, while inside the base of the campanile is preserves another interesting pictorial cycle romanesque depicting a curtain, a warrior and some fairs.

Holy Shroud Images. Painting on canvas, Cathedral of San Giusto
placed at the bottom of the left nave of the Cathedral of San Giusto, canvas, dated back to 1723, has in its upper portion the Addolorata portrayed in the act of contemplating the cloth of the Shroud, supported by two putti; other Angels encircle the Virgin and contemplate the scene. In the lower part of the painting, San Pietro (left, portrayed in the act of indicating the Shroud) and Santo Stefano (right, in prayerful attitude), portraits of facing a baluster beyond which one sees a landscape, contemplate the sacred cloth. The painting probably commissioned by Canon Peter Ludovico Lauteri in 1723, is mentioned among the furnishings of the Cathedral from 1751. It is in a good state of preservation and has an elaborate cornice in gilded wood and carved.

Contact Cathedral of San Giusto

I want to receive the newsletter
  • Piazza San Giusto, Susa (Torino)
  • 0122 622640
  • Religious location
  • Monument /attraction

Sleep, eat, buy...

B&B Antico Borgo
Via Principe Tommaso, 30 - 10011, Agli (Torino)
61.98 Kilometers from Cathedral of San Giusto
Trattoria Mamy
Corso Torino, 73 - 10051, Avigliana (Torino)
28.92 Kilometers from Cathedral of San Giusto
Azienda Agricola Ivano Challier
Fraz. Balboutet, Via Parco Orsiera, 2 - 10060, Usseaux (Torino)
31.70 Kilometers from Cathedral of San Giusto
Ski Sport Dain
Villaggio Campo Smith - 10052, Bardonecchia (Torino)
28.02 Kilometers from Cathedral of San Giusto
e-borghi 2019-2020 All rights reserved • 3S Comunicazione - P. IVA 08058230965
Corso Buenos Aires, 92 - 20124 Milano | 02 87071950