Inside the Grosio Engraving Park towers The New Castle (Castrum Novum) was built between 1350 and 1375 and was designed to respond to changed strategic needs. Characterized by a double wall curtain, justified by defensive needs, it also bears witness to the presence of a mighty donjon (a fortified internal tower which was entrusted with the extreme defense of the castle). In 1526 the Graubünden Government of the Tré Leghe ordered its dismantling together with all the existing fortifications in the Valley. Although now in a state of ruin, the New Castle is the best preserved and most interesting example among the castles of the province of Sondrio. The archaeological excavation conducted between 1992 and 1997 throughout the south-western area inside the New Castle has brought to light the remains of a settlement that developed in the Bronze Age and in the Iron Age. The findings associated with the various protohistoric phases outlined, exhibited in the Park Antiquarium, show the presence of very peculiar cultural aspects, characterized by alternate relationships now with the transalpine area of the upper Rhine valley (Grisons), now with the South-Eastern area of the central-eastern Alps (Trentino-South Tyrol).