the old tonnara of Marzamemi has origins dating back to the arab domination, around the year one thousand. In 1630, this was sold by the Spanish to the Prince of Villadorata. The Nicolaci di Villadorata improved and enlarged the complex of the old tonnara, building new homes for fishermen, thus giving rise to the village that we know today. The activity of the tonnara Marzamemi was important until the mid 1950s. Today instead is required destination of tourists.
The exterior still preserves the ancient structure, marked by the passing of time but still rich of charm. The interior is open and the area where once were hospitalized fishing boats (the Scieri) have now been transformed into the "Loggia", a large room that preserves the ancient arches the tufo, the theater of many events in the private and public sector.