the Augustinian hermitage of San Leonardo al Lago, documented from 1119, rose at the lake Verano, reclaimed in the second half of the XVIII century. The Church and the premises were rebuilt between the XIII century and the XIV century, reusing the right side of the ancient building in a transition style between romanesque and gothic. In 1366 the entire monastic complex was fortified.
In the facade of the Church opens the splayed portal with a round arch. The interior is divided into three spans covered with a cross vault. The church has been the subject of heavy decorative interventions in the neo-gothic style: however, in the apse zone there are frescoes from Lippo Vanni, depicting stories from the life of the Virgin Mary, the angels and saints, datable between 1360 and 1370. In the former Refectory, one of the masterpieces of the Sienese painting of the fifteenth century: a fragmentary but a precious fresco of the Crucifixion, the work of Giovanni di Paolo of grace, made around 1445.