The most complete online resource about Italian villages
Login

Church of San Paragorio

What to see in Noli, Savona, Liguria


Share

Important and historical example of Romanesque architecture in Liguria, the Church of San Paragorio in the village of Noli dates back to XI century. Sort above a paleochristian church (finds of a necropolis were discovered during excavations carried out by the International Institute of Ligurian Studies under the direction of Nino Lamboglia, in 1972), has a basilican plant with three naves, the crypt to oratory and a weft of blind arches separated by thin pilasters, doubled in the facade and in the apse.

On the outside of the central apse, between the arches and the pitch of the roof, you may notice some basins in colorful ceramics used as decorative inserts, provenance sicula or North African. On the left hand side is a double tomb to arcosolium and one single, all with round arches supported by columns. The single tomb has the arc made of white stones and black alternated, in typical ligurian style, as well as the pronaos on the side entrance. Inside are preserved on the high altar a wooden crucifix coeval - similar to the Holy Face of Lucca and dating back to the second half of the XIII century - and a chair in wood of the XIII century, in addition to the precious frescoes of the Fourteenth Century. From 28 December 1890 was declared a national monument. As a result of damage suffered as a result of an earthquake, was restored at the end of the XIX century by Alfredo d'Andrade which brought to light the original appearance. Was the cathedral of Noli until 1572, when the way it passed to the nearby and more central church of San Pietro.

  • Via Cesare Battisti, 11, Noli (Savona)
  • Religious location

Sleep, eat, buy...

e-borghi 2019-2020 All rights reserved • 3S Comunicazione - P. IVA 08058230965
Corso Buenos Aires, 92 - 20124 Milano | 02 87071950