Erected in 1274 on the ruins of a medieval fortress on the initiative of Atrani, the collegiate church is dedicated to Saint who freed them from a handful of sailors Alessandrini, sent by Manfredi the Norman around 1100. The sailors had arrived in the village to punish Atrani, rei have sided with the Pope, in the struggle between the papacy and the empire.
The temple has the particularity of being provided with two transepts where one is covered with vaults coated externally with majolica, the other instead has a flat cover. Among the numerous statues placed in different lateral small chapels and the eighteenth-century canvases stand out a Madonna shepherdess, sculpture of 1789 and the incredulity of St Thomas of Salerno Andrea Sabatini.
It has finally been reopened after several years one armoured chest inside containing, in addition to sacred objects and value, the holy relics of the Patron Saint, consisting in "strands of hair, some bones and shreds of shirts".