the St. Francis' Church is located in the village of Montone, in Umbria. It was erected at the place in which it was built Castelvecchio (Capanneto), one of the six castles built for defensive purposes and control of the valley between the river caprine and the river Tiber, in the medieval period. It is here that the order of the Friars Minor, until then seated in Sant'Ubaldo outside the city walls there is established from 29 April 1308, under the pontificate of Clement V and with the consent of the Council of Vienne.
The architectural typology of the Church is that typical of the mendicant Orders: simple shapes and linear, single nave, polygonal apse with vaults with ribs finely frescoed and trussed roof. Is canonically oriented to the west and the light penetrates through the three apse windows, of which a central double lancet window, and through the six single lancet windows of the side walls.
The facade is set against a portico added probably between the XVII and the XVIII century. Adjacent to the left wall of the church, there is the convent. The church, completely frescoed since the beginning of the Fourteenth Century, was then affected by new and large decorative interventions, which are overlapped for three times to frescoes originating. The results higher, from an artistic point of view, you had anyway in the next century, when this building became the family church of the Fortebracci family. Between 1423 and 1424, on the committenza of Braccio da Montone, Antonio Alberti from Ferrara was called to paint the episodes of the life of Saint Francis and the scenes of the Last Judgment in the soffit. In 1486 the Count Carlo Fortebracci family, the son of the captain Braccio da Montone, erected an altar to half of the wall to the left of the Church as ex vote for the birth of the Son Bernardino. There is also the coat of arms of the Malatesta family with the two elephants, clear reminder of the noble family of Rimini, to which belonged Margherita wife of Carlo.
In 1810 the convent was temporarily closed and in 1866 it became state property. To restorations in the 1990s of the last century have led to the restoration of the entire complex and transformed part of the former convent in the current Art Gallery and in the 'Talking Drum' Ethnographic Museum.